DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rely mostly on a whole house fan for cooling and was sick of the no-see-ums getting in at night if any lights were on. Was looking on Amazon at screens but many reviews saying the 20x20 (wires per inch) screen wasn't keeping them out and it was mostly fiberglass anyway, which doesn't last too well. Did some searching and came across a company in PA that custom makes all sorts of screen and mesh, Darby wire.

Ordered a 30x30 mesh, stainless steel, wire diameter of .012". Much more difficult to work with than fiberglass, you'll need the metal insert wheel, but keeps out most of the bugs (a few really tiny ones still find a way in, bastards) and will last a lifetime+. 20' x 3' was ~$100 shipped to me. I put Mortite around the screen perimeters as well.

This pic is next to regular window screen

This pic the screen is on right window, left window is glass only

And final product at night. You do lose some visibility from an angle, though not as much a a black background would imply here. Thinner wire would be less noticeable but also less durable and let in slightly larger bugs. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get .010" diameter wire

·
Registered
391 Posts
.................snip.................. Was looking on Amazon at screens but ...............snip.................
The sooner we all stop shopping at Amazon, the better of we all will be. There are some great products available for home construction.
Great tip! I've heard Florida is flush with those things.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, I try to avoid Amazon when possible. At least half the time stuff is cheaper on Ebay, Rockauto etc anyway, and shipping times are about the same these days. I just hope USPS doesn't go to every other day delivery like they've been floating - now that Amazon has their own drivers for most areas while every other service is stuck with USPS for cost-effective shipping under 5lbs, that would be like signing a contract for Bezos' world domination.

We certainly have our fair share of these gnats in the northeast, outside the cities anyway. Last night I kept all windows closed that didn't have these new screens in them and didn't go in or out after dark (though a friend did stop by) and only had a single no-see-um get me. And the little guy in the pic above. So I'm thinking maybe even the few that bit me the night before last were getting in other windows, even though I didn't have lights on inside in those areas. Or the door as I was coming and going. Will see, working my way through the house replacing screens, slowly but surely.

Reassuring to see that even one as small as above couldn't escape through the new screen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.