DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the guys who replaced a wall in the kitchen didn't clean off the ceiling wall. so near where they taped at the ceiling there is a grease spot that leaked right through the joint compound. I haven't yet painted because of this.

How do I go about fixing this problem so I could paint? I'm thinking if I sand it will just spread the grease around and when I get deep enough it will smear it into the dry wall. not to mention the sandpaper getting clogged up. anyone with experience and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try some ammonia and water solution
Maybe half and half and if that doesn't work try ammonia straight out of the bottle. Another choice could be a all purpose cleaner called Simple Green.
You may have to apply a primer sealer to seal it in if you can't clean it up.
the primer sealer should be a oil base.
Hope this helps you with a plan of action.

·
Tired, Cold, and Damp
3,089 Posts
Any liquid cleaner will affect the water-based j/c
Though you'll have a teeny bit of wiggle room before it basically melts the repair

Clean it as much as possible (very, very, little)
Then seal it with a solvent-based sealer
And oil/alkyd may work, but to be sure I'd use a shellac/alcohol based sealer

Even if you were able to clean it, it would most likely continue to bleed through (after painting) if not properly sealed

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Any liquid cleaner will affect the water-based j/c
Though you'll have a teeny bit of wiggle room before it basically melts the repair
I found that out earlier today; some joint compound easily came off the on the rag soaked with tsp that I was cleaning the spot with.
Jms Int. Serv. said:
You may have to apply a primer sealer to seal it in if you can't clean it up.
the primer sealer should be a oil base.
Hope this helps you with a plan of action.

slickshift said:
Clean it as much as possible (very, very, little)
Then seal it with a solvent-based sealer
And oil/alkyd may work, but to be sure I'd use a shellac/alcohol based sealer

Even if you were able to clean it, it would most likely continue to bleed through (after painting) if not properly sealed
Excellent advice. Thank yous.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got some Zinseer B.I.N shellac white primer. It sounds like it's reallllllyyyy liquidy. I'll probably prime on friday. Any tips I should know? I'm painting a semi-glass latex over the BIN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts