I do not know anything about landscaping. I just purchased a new home and was planning on spreading some grass seed in the back yard. What is the best way to put the grass seed down so the rain will not wash it away? Can I spread top soil over it?
You won't achieve much by just tossing "grass" seed on dirt. I would go to the library and borrow, or garden store and buy, a good guidebook on turf grasses but the basics are as follows.
1. Resolve any grade and drainage issues including low and high spots.
2. Remove any large rocks, bricks, construction debris, etc.
3. Purchase organic ammendments to be added to the soil.
4. Thoroughly till the soil, working in the ammendments as you go.
5. Apply a quality starter fertilizer.
6. Rake the surface to form shallow grooves and spread the seed evenly acccording to directions for the mix you choose.
7. Fill a roller half full of water and roll the surface to press the seed into the soil.
8. Top dress with an appropriate top dressing.
A forum community dedicated to Do it yourself-ers and home improvement enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about tools, projects, builds, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! Helping You to Do It Yourself!