DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the place to ask: but I'll try anyways...

I'm building some cabinets myself for a bar (first attempt ever) out of 3/4 ply. The way I designed the back-bar is with standard kitchen dimensions.

The bar top itself will be 42" high.

My design included a half-wall that transitions the 36" counter to the 42" bar top.

Next to the half wall will be an under-counter fridge.

I'm wondering: can I tack a 2x4 to the half-wall to catch the end of the granite? Or should I build an enclosure for the fridge?

(Basically, I'm unsure how much support granite needs on the end.... I'd like to use the half-wall as the termination of the cabinets)

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,274 Posts
Granites tensile strength varies greatly from piece to piece.

Some pieces will be fine without any support, others will be so brittle that any in supported weight will break it off.

Yes you can incorporate a 2X4 as supporting member just in case you happen to have a weaker stone.

Without any pictures, or other dimensions I can't advise further.

If it was me I would add a support, because I know that people lean, or sit on these often.

ED

·
JOATMON
15,248 Posts
In your part of the country, you will most likely be using 3cm granite. Assuming no defects in the granite, 12" unsupported should be fine....just don't use it as a step.

In my part of the country, it would be 3/4" granite with the edge glued on to make it 1.5" thick at the edge. This then gets put on top of 3/4" plywood with a thin layer of thinset.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill be supporting it either way: I just wasn't sure if a 24-26" span between supports was okay (24" between the cabinet and the cleat)... or if I should be somehow strapping between the wall and the cabinet.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Gizzy.... I'm with ED and Dawgy..... Depends on the granite (type and thickness 2cm edged to 4, or 3 cm)

For solid granites at 3 cm, I've considered 10-12 " cantelevers safe.... no dancing though.

With end support.... you'll probably be ok with a 26" span.... but as insurance if it's not a plant shelf... I'd run any extra support that is feasable.

Chanel iron... or even 1/4 flat steel can be pretty easily hidden.

Best

1 - 5 of 5 Posts