DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
the problem here isn't with the counter top. It is that the recess was not built in the proper place. It should have been built so the refrigerator abutted the counter top (that stops at the edge of the cabinets) and cabinets.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
nap said:
the problem here isn't with the counter top. It is that the recess was not built in the proper place. It should have been built so the refrigerator abutted the counter top (that stops at the edge of the cabinets) and cabinets.
Could it be the cabinet was not built over to the end of the tile/wall. We did get new cabinets about 6-7 years ago.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
If that recess was there then, then yes, it is possible.

but if the counter top was extended you could apply a filler under it and that would look ok so, it depends on what the build order stated as to size. If the work order included an overhang, then then granite guy is responsible to build it as ordered.

but what are you going to do with the gap between the upper cabinet and the refrigerator?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not sure if this will work but...Could you place a 1" shim board against the cabnet, stain it to match & then simply get the granite guy to cut a 1" shim piece to fit in the slot so everything will look (mostly) seamless?

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
glad i don't have a dog in this hunt :yes: our c-tops have 1" o-hang in both houses,,, @ the shore the c-top abuts the fridge that was in place,,, both kitchens have granite backsplashes,,, yours can also - move the fridge out of the way - have your guy make a short piece to fill the gap--- drill the end & dowel the new piece in place w/threaded s/s pins & his epoxy,,, just a thought :whistling2: good luck,,, i'd hate to be in your shoes & have my bride, nagzilla, on my back over this :furious:

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
In searching the web I saw a few pics where the space for the fridge was framed all the way around. Basically there was a vertical board standing at the end of the counter from floor to either too of cabinet space or ceiling, whichever was applicable. Not sure I care for it but it's an alternative

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
simple fix, kinda. use a angle grinder with a diamond wheel and trim the back splash tiles.
touch up the cut area. push fridge in place.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
simple fix, kinda. use a angle grinder with a diamond wheel and trim the back splash tiles.
touch up the cut area. push fridge in place.
I believe the area where the appliance is intended to sit is actually recessed hence the need to pull the appliance out so far to be able to set it immediately adjacent to the counter.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Fix'n it said:
simple fix, kinda. use a angle grinder with a diamond wheel and trim the back splash tiles. touch up the cut area. push fridge in place.
There is wall there so if I cut the tile the wall is still stopping the fridge and I would also have the all showing in the front where I would cut the tiles. If the tile were hanging over past the wall then it would be an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
nap said:
I believe the area where the appliance is intended to sit is actually recessed hence the need to pull the appliance out so far to be able to set it immediately adjacent to the counter.
Exactly!!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would do as suggested and either place a matching wooden filler strip or most closely matching slab piece in there that fits over the counter and into the gap. We have this in several stations around our stoves to match heights as the counters are lower due to ADA restrictions. Its a nice feature IMO as it keeps crumbs and junk from falling in the gap. The issue is a unique aspect of your kitchen. I don't know that you can really fault the installer. And I can indeed attest that not all refrigerators are not the same size as I had to measure for a new one and none that I liked would fit my opening.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Is it my imagination or is the granite backsplash also a different length than the granite countertop? And why does the tile protrude over the granite backsplash? And what is the ugly stain on the granite backsplash?

I'd ask him to make it all right. His financial loss is not your problem. Some guys won't learn to do quality work unless they are forced to do quality work.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
There is wall there so if I cut the tile the wall is still stopping the fridge and I would also have the all showing in the front where I would cut the tiles. If the tile were hanging over past the wall then it would be an easy fix.
ok. then is comes down to "how bad do you want it".

what door handles do you have on the counters ?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
ok, i seen your handles. what i think would look nice = get a piece of trim/whatever that matches the handles and put that there.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
Is it my imagination or is the granite backsplash also a different length than the granite countertop? And why does the tile protrude over the granite backsplash? And what is the ugly stain on the granite backsplash?

I'd ask him to make it all right. His financial loss is not your problem. Some guys won't learn to do quality work unless they are forced to do quality work.
there is no granite backsplash. That area is going to be tiled.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts