DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting them installed tomorrow. The guy said there will be a few seams. We are getting and L shaped island and have an L shaped counter ....so two countertops. Should there be seams? If so should they show? Anything I should look for when he does the install...regarding the seams? Thanks a lot

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
depending on the size, there will be seams = the slabs are only so big. you will be able to see the seams, but just how much depends on the stone you get, got an pics ?

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
of course there'll be seams but the installers pull pieces together w/vacuum & use epoxy in the jnt,,, if you chose lite granite, they use lite colored epoxy,,, if dark, dark epoxy,,, yes, they'll show but that's life,,, they show in everyone's house,,, ours certainly aren't objectionable & nagzilla's very critical :yes: which is why i won't work for her :no:

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
We have an L shaped granite countertop, there is one seam over the sink. Granite pieces only come so big. In hindsight, I might have opted for a diagonal seam in the corner. Over the past ten years, one side of the granite has settled about 1/16 of an inch relative to the other, and you can actually feel the difference on the edge. Not the end of the world, but perhaps it would have been less noticeable in the corner. This is something you can discuss with your fabricator, but probably too late in your case, since the granite arrives so soon.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
granite doesn't change - 1 of the primary reasons we use it for cemetery monuments & technical surface plates,,, floors move, cabinets move, whatever's underneath granite c-tops will/can/might/may ' move ' but granite stays the same dimension :thumbsup:

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
As Dan says and points out, generally you will want to discuss joints with your fabricator PRIOR..... which is probably too late. (It is somewhat a matter of taste... I like the miter style... but really depends on its location and the granite.

If you have a precut kitchen sink.... there should be a dadoed-in/epoxied reinforcement bar at least in your front lip.

There are some cheap fabricators/installers who will not have scribed your backside of counter to your back wall. They will want to cut into your drywall... that is your decision and call... I do not consider it standard practice.... if you don't want that, they'll scribe/grind it on site.... depends on the wall and your backsplash etc.

And any good installer at your seams will have this neat vacumme/suction cup tool with precise adjestments.... and they should hard shim (not just use caulk) under any seams.... prevents later lippage.

Good luck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts