DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some searches, but haven't found anything relative.

Using Graco Magnum X5, 1/4" X 25' hose, SG2 gun, RAC IV 515 tip (Home Depot kit). Max orifice .015.

Spraying Kilz 2 latex primer. Mfg specs: Tip: .015" - .021" , Thinning not recommended. Product is formulated for use at package consistency only.

Increased pressure enough to eliminate finger/tail -- approx. 2/3 of the way up in the "Spray" range.. Nice fuzzy edges at top and bottom.

Pump runs nearly continuously. There is visible pulsation in the spray before it reaches the wall, and it paints vertical stripes on a horizontal pass, or horizontal stripes on a vertical pass as a result of the pulsation. On a vertical pass, some of the horizontal stripes tend to run/sag, even though the lighter parts of the "striping" are not adequately covered.

I contacted Graco and they pretty much sent me a stock response:

"Kilz 2 primer is pretty thick. The tip range is .015 to .021 and from my experience you usually need a .019 or a .021 to spray it properly. The Magnum X5 can only spray up to a max size of .015. When spraying through the Magnum X5, I would suggest you strain and thin the Kilz material."

The problem is that the primer really did not seem very thick to me. I'm trying to figure what causes the pulsations. I know you should be able to spray water and get a smooth pattern, but the pulsation causes a "squirt & pause" effect throughout the pass, leaving wet / dry striping. On a horizontal pass, there is no finger/tail at top/bottom. The stripes run vertically. It also put a lot of primer into the air. The wet stripes took over 6 hours to dry (change from shiny to flat) in a room that was approximately 65 degrees with humidity in the low 50% range.

The sprayer just seemed to be putting out too much material, but not evenly.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Graco sprayers without the Smart Control feature tend to pulse like you describe at low pressures. I don’t know if that’s what’s going on here, but the first thing I would try is increasing the pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<snip> . . . the first thing I would try is increasing the pressure.
Hmmm . . . I can try that. I'll probably have to paper a large area on my garage wall and find some of my "spare" paint to test with, and then switch back to the primer to test that.

It just seemed to me that more pressure would put more material thru the tip.

·
retired painter
13,166 Posts
I don't have much experience with the smaller airless units but generally pulsing means the pump is struggling to run the paint at a consistent rate. You'll probably either need to turn up the wick or thin the paint a little.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used x5 for years now. owner of my company to cheap to buy better rig and when it breaks he does takes back to home depot for exchange. Is the tip your using new? With these rigs until the tip is what I called (blown out) it will leave lines. I like to take the new tips and spray 5 gallons or more wide open with pressure all way up to open hole in tip more and it almost all ways does the trick. I've painted thousands of houses and condos with those little rigs and as long as you keep them clean after your done they will get it done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.