DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Gounding breaker box.

1277 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  AllanJ
I am selling my home and the inspector said I need to ground my breaker box to a water line. My question is my main box is in a finished room and the nearest water line is in my garage on the opposite side of the house. I have a subpanel that runs my AC and dryer which is in my unfinished laundry room. Could I ground the subpanel to a water line in the laundry room?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
No. It has to come from the main service disconnect. Is your water main plastic or copper? Is it a home inspector?
How did your inspector determine that the panel was not already grounded?

Only the service panel would be grounded to the water line and ground rods.
All copper and yes it is a home inspector.
No sure how he determined that it was not grounded. It is grounded outside to rod outside but no to the water line.

It is copper.
Can you post a picture with the panel cover off?
how about what gauge wit do I need?
for 100amp service using copper its #6 ...200 amp is #4. and must be connected within 5 feet of point of entrance into home.
Does the water line coming in from the street enter in the garage? Is that where the water meter is located?
Yes it comes In the garage and the meter is there also.
Is there a groung rod? If so, where does the #6 CU come from? Where is the main panel in resepct to the meter?
The inspector called you on the lack of the water pipe ground because he did not see it or find it. For a metal main water pipe exiting the house underground you need to have such a grounding as described above. It's okay for that wire (grounding electrode conductor) to go all the way across the basement from the panel with the first main disconnect switch to the water pipe.

Technically, a metal main water pipe exiting the house underground counts as a grounding electrode and all grounding electrodes must be bonded (connected together with appropriate sized wires as GECs). A metal gas pipe exiting the house underground does not count as a grounding electrode but the gas piping system should also be bonded to the aforementioned grounding electrode system. A wire similar in size to a GEC can be used; here it is called a bonding jumper.

A GEC to a ground rod need not be larger than #6 copper regardless of the amperage of the electrical system.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.