DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The AC unit and condo were new 6 years ago. I started working nights last winter and now come summer and 90F+ daytime temps i'm finding the AC is not keeping up.

1200 sq ft top/2nd floor condo will be around 75° when I get home at 6am. I'll turn it down to 68° when i go to sleep at 9am. After 6 hours or so of sleep I get up and the condo will only be down to around 72°.

I've never had the AC serviced professionally (or done anything but change filters), am I overdue for basic maintenance or maybe a bigger issue?

·
Administrator
42,396 Posts
Slow down. Try setting your thermostat to 68 at 7 AM. It might get down to 68, 69, or maybe 70 by 3PM then.

Many A/Cs can take an hour or 2 to reduce the temp 1 degree.

Remember, you have heat gain from the condo below you, and the hot roof.

·
NYPR
3 Posts
You say it's been 6 years w/o a PM? You can guarantee both coils are dirty. The units need to breathe. Never let it go that long, you'll end up spending big bucks on major repairs.

You're dropping the temp 7 degrees and expecting it to cool down during the hottest time of day. Set your thermostat to 70 or 72 when you leave, then you're only dropping it 2 to 4 degrees when you come home. You end up paying for the heat load when you have a big difference in temp settings. I keep mine at 72 night and day, it's less of a load for the unit to maintain, hence less cost for electricity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.