DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Goodman GSU06-3
That ignites the burners only to stay lit for around 10 secs and then goes out.Blower etc still continues to run and it keeps repeating the cycle but does not trigger an error code. The LED stays o.
Had a Tech come out today and said he cleaned the flame sensor and replaced the terminal connector But still doing the same thing .
He said only thing to do is replace the furnace.

I asked about replacing the flame sensor and was told he's only replaced one in is 30 plus years of HVAC repair.

Everything I've read suggest a faulty / dirty flame sensor.
Should I replace and try to see if it works?
Just does not sound right and think he only wants to sell me a new system.
Help ????

·
Items wanted: Time
195 Posts
Get new tech, he should be able to measure the signal the flame sensor is sending. From there you can determime what the problem is

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NiNeO
Thank You. Figured he would have measured it for resistance etc. But apparently he just pulled it out and cleaned it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
A flame sensor is just a steel rod with a ceramic insulator. If the ceramic isn't cracked or carbon traced there's nothing to fail on them. Corroded grounds or faulty control boards will do the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to check grounds and connectors .The house had been vacant for 2 years and I'm thinking corrosion on the terminals. I hope .
But wouldn't it through a fault code if not getting a reading from the Flame sensor?
BTW Thank You guys for helping.:thumbsup:

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Another one???

I have never seen any forum wherein the so called professionals that people call in to look at their HVAC system the answer to almost every problem is to install a new HVAC system. Most of the techs that answer in this forum say to call a licensed Technician, and it seems that most of them tell the Owner that they need a new system.

I guess at the going rate for service techs in the field of HVAC, which I frankly don't know about, the point of diminishing returns is achieved very quickly.

Does anybody know what a trained service tech makes, or a good place to go to school for this trade?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Around $90000 but you have to offer a lot new system. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

·
Administrator
40,249 Posts
Does anybody know what a trained service tech makes, or a good place to go to school for this trade?
LOL, school is only the basics. Doesn't teach you half of what you need to know to be good.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Hvac

I agree, like all schools, what you learn there is just the basics. You learn the real stuff in the Bar. :laughing: 90K is definitely better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick though.

·
Items wanted: Time
195 Posts
Do you have any idea of how much customer crap you have to break and short and catch fire and freeze to become a good HVAC tech. More for some but in my case plenty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts