DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restaining kitchen cabinet doors with Minwax natural stain. The first time 6 months ago I did just that and the surface reacted with water drips to make chalky lines and areas.

Sanded these off again and reapplied the Minwax.... looks great, but will have the same problem I know unless I seal it.
I intend to apply a semigloss water based varathane but as I go to sand, the stain layer is not happy, getting gummy after 24 hours drying.

I suppose it is still too fresh.
Should I wait and try to sand in several days or is it okay to apply the varathane without sanding and hope the tacky stain and varathane will bond?
Thanks for any ideas.

·
Usually Confused
7,269 Posts
I would let it sit until dry. I have applied multiple coats of penetrating stain and it does take longer for the carrier to dry/evaporate. It may take a couple of days depending on conditions.

Edit - I don't sand stain before top coating.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
2 options:

sand completely to bare wood 120-150 grit. Remove dust then stain. 24-48 hours dry time then top coat with waterborne urethane.

If you can't get completely to bare wood use a gel stain old masters or general finishes. Do not attempt to use a penetrating or wiping stain on an existing surface. Do not attempt to double coat oil penetrating or wiping stains. You will have adhesion and/or drying issues...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts