DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37,430 Posts
Any hardware store, Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, Northern Tool, Tractor Supply and hundreds of other places have gas cans.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Is the one from Amazon easy to use ? I bought a different one a month ago from auto parts store and it is so loaded with EPA improvements.......I can't open the blasted thing. The auto store guy had a hard time showing me how to open. Of course I forgot 5 minutes later. OK, who sells the "old fashioned" gas can, please ?

I think I have the Briggs & Stratton Smart Fill 1+ gallon gas can....

·
Registered
830 Posts
Is the one from Amazon easy to use ? I bought a different one a month ago from auto parts store and it is so loaded with EPA improvements.......I can't open the blasted thing. The auto store guy had a hard time showing me how to open. Of course I forgot 5 minutes later. OK, who sells the "old fashioned" gas can, please ?

I think I have the Briggs & Stratton Smart Fill 1+ gallon gas can....

I have a couple of the "No Spill" cans. I like them a lot for the 1-2 gallon cans I use to fill the push mower, trimmers, chain saws, etc. These are about the best I've found for equipment with small tanks, easy to use and you really don't spill most of the time.

You would need a funnel for a job like getting gas into a car and using this type can be a little awkward on large gas cans. A 5 gallon jug is pretty heavy to hold with one hand while you push the button with the other.

I prefer the VP racing fuel jugs for my large gas cans. These are about as close to an old style can as you can get. They are made of heavy plastic, have a screw down vent and use a thick, clear hose with a screw on cap for a spout. I think they work even better than the old cans did. The heavy plastic construction is much stronger and the spout doesn't leak like those plastic accordion style spouts always did.

·
Registered
37,430 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The Blitz gas cans are quite common but I have found various shortcomings.

Unless you tighten the spout coupling with tremendous strength it often leaks at the coupling as you pour.

The spout is too short for car use, you can't get all the gas out without a lot of swishing and possible paint scratching.

I had one of those push button spouts, I forgot what brand. The push button assembly was too weak to prevent leakage f the can fell on its side. It was too weak to retard evaporation (read: loss) of gas over time with the can fully and properly upright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts