DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm working on wiring in surround sound system and FM signal sucked because of roof, so I tied in preexisting exterior antenna. AM single does same and was just seeing what it would take to build AM antenna with good reception. Usually only listen to it in vehicle.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm working on wiring in surround sound system and FM signal sucked because of roof, so I tied in preexisting exterior antenna. AM single does same and was just seeing what it would take to build AM antenna with good reception. Usually only listen to it in vehicle.

If you put a car antenna on your shop roof you'll get the same reception.

Your receiver in your home might not be as good as the one in your car.

99% of all car antennae are optimized for FM. If you go to a truck stop you can buy a telescoping antenna to put on your vehicle that will extend higher, and give you much better reception.

I remember that picture in the Boy Scout Manual for stringing a wire between two trees for AM reception. With a ground rod near the house, I'm sure.

·
43 years in construction
105 Posts
Your problem is the metal building shielding the indoor radio antenna from receiving a signal that would otherwise be sufficiently strong. You need an exterior antenna but not one that will receive signals from China. The 50 feet + antennas are way too much. A simple vertical antenna of any length over 3 feet and attached to the apex of your house should be ample. The car antenna is a possible inexpensive solution. The antenna does need to be on isolated mounts and fed into the house without touching the metal roof. If you can locate a local ham radio operator they will help you find a cheap, workable solution for no fee. Call a local electronics supply store (not Radio Shack, not Best Buy) and ask the name of a ham radio operator you could call. Tell the ham operator that you only want to pick up LOCAL stations.

Rick

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks I know a ham guy.

I'm not a professional., But I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts