DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My building has four apartments that each has its own meter with a 60-amp fuse box. There is also a meter for common electric, 60-amp fuses. When i had work done to the kitchen of the largest unit I wanted the fuse box to be upgraded to a breaker panel, so the contractor did that.
When I had my Maintenance guy fix a sparking light switch in the unit, he told me part of the apartment is drawing on the "common" electric. The simplest way to say it is, the contractor installed a 100-amp breaker panel and could only get 60 from the original fuse box so he drew the other 40 from "common".
When I asked the contractor about it he was vague about how he wired it, then went through removing the fuses on the "common" to prove that it did not affect the power in the apartment. But my Maintenance guy said the new wiring into the "common" shows he drew it from the source, and that would not be evident when fuses were pulled.
Obviously, I am not technically able to describe or manipulate this. I called an electrical supply company and the guy there said the 100-amp panel could be used with a 60-amp source if it were backfed by a pulse-60. I don't know what that means, and I would like the contractor to fix this problem so that THE 100-AMP BREAKER PANEL FEEDS ONLY FROM THE SOURCE 60-AMP FUSE BOX FOR THE UNIT. Please help me talk to the contractor so he does not trick me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
shut off the main breaker (100 amp) in the apartment,

now go around to every light and outlet and test if any are live, if you dont have a tester just turn the lights on, or plug something into all the outlets, none of them should work, they should all be dead,

if any of them DO WORK, those locations will need to be wired back to the 100 amp panel within the unit

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
Unless the contractor rewired the apartment, it is unlikely he pulled anything off the house power. More likely is that over the years, intervening handy men wired various things to the common building circuits, or even tenants that wanted to sneak some power for free.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
There is NO WAY someone could pull 60A from one place and 40 from another to power a 100A panel. It simply does not work that way.

I'd also be willing to bet that the original 60A panel was really fed with a 100A feed.
Many people think because a panel has a 60A "lighting main" fuse it is a 60A panel, when in reality the 60A lighting main and the range fuse block are both main fuses meaning the panel is not simply a 60A panel.

Reactions: paintdrying

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Have you done a proper load calculation ?
You may well be able to get by with a 60A main feed.
60A may not sound like much
But because every thing is not on all the time
Then 60A could well suffice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
60 is sufficient

It can be all on 60 amp, as it was when there was a fuse box. My problem is not with gaining amperage, it is the split between two meters. It should be on one meter, but the power of it is 60 amp, and he had a 100 amp breaker panel. Maybe I don't mean "backfeed".

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
There is NO WAY someone could pull 60A from one place and 40 from another to power a 100A panel.
Well actually.......if one were to do some highly illegal and dangerous feeds to a old outmoded type of panel board it could be done.:jester:

Think split buss.

Note to original poster: this post is nothing more than a private joke to other electricians. It has no bearing to your question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts