DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,
I have a noob question, but I am in the process of building an aquarium over-flow and was wondering if I can glue the ABS pipes using "silicon I" instead of the ABS bonding glue.
when i was at home depot the guy who helped with the ABS pipes showed me the glue for the ABS, but after I read all the (caution signs, poisonous....):nuke: on the can I hesitated to buy the bonding glue that contain (methyl ethyl ketone, and acetone....) so I am wondering if I can get away with joining the pipes using silicon and get a air-tight seal.
any help is appreciated.:wallbash::thumbup:

· Master General ReEngineer
10,540 Posts
Hi folks,
I have a noob question, but I am in the process of building an aquarium over-flow and was wondering if I can glue the ABS pipes using "silicon I" instead of the ABS bonding glue.
when i was at home depot the guy who helped with the ABS pipes showed me the glue for the ABS, but after I read all the (caution signs, poisonous....):nuke: on the can I hesitated to buy the bonding glue that contain (methyl ethyl ketone, and acetone....) so I am wondering if I can get away with joining the pipes using silicon and get a air-tight seal.
Ayuh,... It's used to glue the joints,...

Yer not drinkin' the stuff...

The odds are, if ya use sillycone, it's leak, eventually...

Btw,.... Sillycone is Poisonous too... :whistling2:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Open the window and use the correct glue. Cant you glue the pipe part outside, Let it set, and then put it in the tank?
its not that I'm glueing it on the tank.
first I'm assembling the over flow, then glueing it with silicon (or abs bonding glue if its okay)
then washing the whole thing and testing it.
then i assemble it on the tank.

im not sure if it is okay to use the ABS glue or use the silicone.
it needs to be water tight... any recommendations!:)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You use the proper primer and glue for ABS Pipe, what is it that you dont get about this, or am I missing something?
read my first post. I would use the proper glue... however, the glue is toxic and poisonous so i cannot use it for piping installed on an aquarium as it will harm the livestock inside.

so the question was can i use silicone that is aquarium safe? :)

· JOATMON
17,848 Posts
Hi folks,
Those ketones are VOC's that will evaporate quite quickly. To a good extent, the black ABS cement is really more of a desolver. It does it's job of glueing the two pieces together by desolving the ABS plastic. The emulsion that it's in is essentually a carrier to allow you to put it where you want it. Once you glue those pipes, I would say the ketones are totally gone within 24 hours. If your really worried about it...give it a week.

The issue with silicone is that it will not bond to the ABS. Hence, if you have any movement of the joints...good chance it will eventually leak.

· Premium Member
13,092 Posts
We are plumbers or people experienced at using only ABS glue. My guess is about as good as yours. The fittings have very tight tolerances and do not completely seat unless the proper glue is used- MEK softens the plastic and actually welds the pipe
Did you know that ABS and PVC/DWV pipe is cellular and will float?

· Registered
1,950 Posts
pvc can be used for potable water for humans, and abs should not. i'd use pvc and don't worry one second about the primer and/or glue doing jack stink once it is dry. as said, glue outside or with a window open. silicone on plastic pipes is as useless as boobs on a bull.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
. silicone on plastic pipes is as useless as boobs on a bull.
HAHAHA:laughing: nice analogy

any ways here is an update. since i am stubborn :bangin: and ask for advice and don't take it I went ahead and tried out the silicone and not much to my surprise it did fall apart after it was filled with water (in bath tube of course)
so for others out there as the plumbing people said silicone on ABS is useless.
So now I went ahead and purchased the ABS glue and hopefully it will work properly this time (Ill do it outside) and let it cure for 24 hours so all the hazardous vapours go off and then ill wash it and then hopefully set it up on my fish tank.

also I would have bought PVC but the fact is that Home Depot did not carry 1.5 inch pvc and sold it at 100 feet which is too much.
i dint know where to buy it, and now its probably to late.

· Registered
1,950 Posts
i'd tell you what you now need to do to the abs to get the proper glue to stick, since you have destroyed the outer micro-layer w/ sillycone, but "since i am stubborn and ask for advice and don't take it" i'll let it ride. have a good one, and remember that you probably eat more carcinogens in a week than you'll get off of gluing 100 abs or pvc fittings, eat lightly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.