DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping this Building & Construction forum is the right place to ask this (adhesives) question:

Is there a glue that would work to glue flexible, thick, smooth vinyl (picture clear carpet runners) to a piece of the same? (could be called "plastic carpet runners"... usually have little spikes on one side to hold onto carpet...)

I've tried an all silicone glue, as well as "Loctite - Vinyl, Fabric, & Plastic Flexible Adhesive". Neither do the trick (the two pieces just pull apart too easily after "drying").

I'm guessing the "flexible" nature of both those attempts is why they failed.

Any product (brand, type, or just category) anyone can recommend for really gluing that type of vinyl?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all, for the ideas. The thisorthat site is cool and I've bookmarked it. Probably along the lines I was looking for (the two vinyl carpet runners get fused together and then are like one) the vinyl cement or contact cement would have done it, and since Super Glue says "plastics" and "rubber", perhaps it would have also.

The "carpet tape" suggestion kind of sent me in another direction, though, because since that is what's suggested for securing the vinyl protective "runners" to carpet - at least one side of the tape must stick well to the vinyl. I'm not sure how available clear, two-sided carpet tape is, but I already had some no-brand very generic double-sided tape (heavier than the Scotch double-stick I use with photos, etc.), and after a test - yes it stuck to both. So I went with it (many many few inch pieces along the overlap area) and it seems to be working fine.

The need was mainly because the very wide vinyl carpet runner/protectors aren't around anymore (or tremendously expensive), so I wanted to make one from two of the available narrow ones...

Thanks again!

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.