DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to lay down platon underlayment, xps foam panel and osb or plywood in my basement. The previous owner had very cheap indoor/outdoor carpet heavily glued straight to the slab. After plenty of struggling and patients I removed the carpet...but there are tons of spots where leftover fibers are still adhered to the concrete.

Here is my question...do I have to remove it all? I've tried a couple methods and it would take an excessive amount of time to completely remove it all. I know you do not want any organic material stuck underneath the platon...but wouldn't this leftover carpet be all synthetic fibers? Is it ok to just cover it up as is?

One other question I haven't been able to find an answer for anywhere...if I'm not doing the entire basement, should I be taping/sealing up the platon where I stop? (which will not be at a wall) Same question for the floor drain...cut around the drain and tape/seal the platon to the floor?

Please let me know if theres something I missed.
Thanks for reading and I look forward being a part of the site!

Attachments

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,942 Posts
Just leave it. When the platon fails, which it will, you can clean it then.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Yes you have to remove it all, instructions state all debris needs to be removed before installation.

Don't know what your trying to achieve here, but why not direct your questions to the Mfg.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,942 Posts
The platon system is a failure waiting to happen, anyway.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,942 Posts
If you have first hand information, or a link to a site providing their failure rate, would you be willing to share it, as it would benifit everyone.
I have torn up dozens of those floors. They all mold. I have never seen one last more than five years.
Of course, I only started installing in 1973, what do I know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
For those interested - after trying a few different methods, klean strip adhesive remover is doing the trick... though still relatively slow.

Good call, I will contact the manufacturer about sealing edges as the instructions don't address this. I could see both ways making sense for different reasons. Thanks.

Are you able to provide and opinion on a solution rather than using a membrane underlayment? Do you feel like straight XPS is better? I've read/heard countless opinions/experiences on both sides of the argument. Seems that's there's no agreed upon method.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
For those interested - after trying a few different methods, klean strip adhesive remover is doing the trick... though still relatively slow.

Good call, I will contact the manufacturer about sealing edges as the instructions don't address this. I could see both ways making sense for different reasons. Thanks.

Are you able to provide and opinion on a solution rather than using a membrane underlayment? Do you feel like straight XPS is better? I've read/heard countless opinions/experiences on both sides of the argument. Seems that's there's no agreed upon method.

Your using a razor scraper right, usually comes up pretty good with one of those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes using a scraper. I'll have to use some sort of abrasive for the imperfections and dips in the concrete. A wire cup brush seems to work .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts