DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We need to repaint several rooms in our house. We'll be covering over a burgundy color with light brown/dark beige in a flat finish. We've always used Benjamin Moore, however our daughters gave us a Home Depot gift card for paint so we're now looking at either Glidden or Behr. The idea of not using BM makes me cringe. The idea of hurting the kids' feelings makes me cringe more, so I'm hoping some opinions might help. The Glidden is less expensive than the Behr, which might indicate that it's not as good, but I hate to trust that. Any opinions? Thanks, Mom of two well meaning kids.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
I suggest that you look for a paint store that is busy with pro painters----

Benjamin Moore--Sherwin Williams or a local manufacturer.

Behr is a very difficult paint to work with---to thick to flow off of the brush or roller.

Glidden is better--but not my choice.---Mike---

·
Registered
506 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$ is why, when you start painting entire houses $17 a gallon for valspar versus $30-60 for the better store paints starts taking a hit. i also can't tell any real difference between classic 99 and valspar. from my point of view it's all about pigment and i haven't had any issues with it. the only paint i've used so far i seriously dislike is behr. i was however given a brownish tint in behr that turned out looking pretty decent. maybe their browns are alright, the blues, greens and greys just suck though

·
Registered
291 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$ is why, when you start painting entire houses $17 a gallon for valspar versus $30-60 for the better store paints starts taking a hit.
If cheap paint works for you then go for it. I've found that the most expensive paint is the best overall value when it comes to labor, TOTAL material costs, longevity, ease of use and overall job satisfaction.

On the contrary, the cheapest paint usually results in the highest overall job cost.

·
Do work
147 Posts
I've used Glidden many times and I'm really happy with the results. Also the Valspar paint from lowes is nice too. If I remember correctly I think both of these paints were rated higher in Consumer Reports then the expensive ones.

You'll be fine with whatever you choose assuming it's a name brand. IMO, I think the brush and roller choice are more important the brand of paint. I can take a $40 can of paint and use a $2 brush and $0.50 roller and it will look like crap. But If I take a $20 can of paint and use a $15 brush and a $4 roller, it will look perfect.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
I've used Glidden many times and I'm really happy with the results. Also the Valspar paint from lowes is nice too. If I remember correctly I think both of these paints were rated higher in Consumer Reports then the expensive ones.

You'll be fine with whatever you choose assuming it's a name brand. IMO, I think the brush and roller choice are more important the brand of paint. I can take a $40 can of paint and use a $2 brush and $0.50 roller and it will look like crap. But If I take a $20 can of paint and use a $15 brush and a $4 roller, it will look perfect.

Don't believe everything you read, especially from CM:no:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Don't believe everything you read, especially from CM:no:
true this

i haven't read the CM article but they have to be factoring in price to say that. the high end paints are better, i could see their point that $60BM paint isn't worth 3x more than $20 valspar from lowes; to say they are equal, not sure about that one.

prep work is always where it's at in paint. i don't care if it's cars or homes, it's all about how good of surface you put down on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys for all your advice. Unfortunately I have to stick with Home Depot. Cash is low and the only way we can paint at all is with this gift card. Looks like Glidden won over Behr. And we'll definitely take your advice on good brushes & rollers and solid prep work. My husband has always done a high quality paint job. He's pretty particular about his work. So here's hoping it turns out well :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm no pro painter, but we used Behr paint (due to ignorance) in our hallway with Purdy White Dove rollers. The color was fine, but it was terrible when it came with to even coverage and streaks. We ended up covering it with primer and starting over again with Killz paint from Walmart. We've used it before and it was decent, at least it has even coverage.

With my own personal experience with cheap paints that I've used: Killz, Dutchboy, Pittsburgh Paints, Behr, & Glidden, stay away. I agree with hennyh, you end up spending more on cheap paints than you would on nice paint. I was recently introduced to Sherwin Williams paint and was impressed to say the least. I'm sure Benjamin Moore is no exception. Go with your gut, BM, and just buy the supplies from the Big Orange Box like hennyh suggested if you haven't already started.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.