DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably the same thing here. Glass walkway over the Grand Canyon.

View attachment 695872
View attachment 695872
I can understand the glass walkway over the Grand Canyon, but glass stair treads to see the carpet below, or if it's like my house, all the stuff that gets stored under the stairs? :LOL:

Glass stair treads can't be the safest idea ever invented, too. I don't know where the photo was taken, but I'd be surprised if it's code compliant. :cautious:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I can understand the glass walkway over the Grand Canyon, but glass stair treads to see the carpet below, or if it's like my house, all the stuff that gets stored under the stairs? :LOL:

Glass stair treads can't be the safest idea ever invented, too. I don't know where the photo was taken, but I'd be surprised if it's code compliant. :cautious:
If it has an Engineer stamp... it can be accepted.

personally, I'd like to see the specs and calcs on that...
As a builder, I'm hesitant on such an install no matter the engineering.

Reactions: ZZZZZ

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
Not even a handrail? I would be afraid, very afraid! 😱
I wouldn’t want to take a tumble down those stairs,
all eighteen of them…( I have only 13 steps.)
What about the weight of two men moving heavy furniture up the stairs?

·
Registered
27,293 Posts
That just looks so dangerous. . . is there a glass that doesn't break?
It's like glass-only table tops. I had a patient who fell, her hand went down on the coffee table and when it broke, part went through her abdomen.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My forehead hurts just looking at those glass corners jutting out into the room.
Yes I have and do walk into stuff thats obvious, this would have me avoiding the room altogether.

EDIT... You will never see me walking up or down those stairs.

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
I don't think that is complete. The stair treads won't be cantilevered.
There will be something else holding up the other end of the stair treads.
Going to take a heck of a lot to break 1" glass, supported on both ends.

·
Registered
12,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even if the right end of the treads get secured to stringers (or whatever), what is the purpose of glass treads? Makes no sense to me, but what do I know about "modern design?"

Reactions: Nik333

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, the "why" is "because it looks cool" or "so I can have something that shows I'm rich and cutting edge". Scott Fitzgerald had something to say about that sort of attitude.
No floating stairs, regardless of material, are intended for people who need the space under the stairs for storage.

As for the inherent safety ... well, these folks claim they make it non-skid and apparently it's strong enough to support a car - their gallery is impressive. Home - Glass Flooring Systems
For stairs ... an image search reveals that most have some sort of railing, but there are examples of truly floating glass stairs with no support or railing on one side.
Here's one with a railing but no support (note the glass sidewall with rail doesn't quite touch the treads).

And here's one with neither support nor railing

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
To me it doesn’t seem like a good idea. But the architect probably got an award for it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You need to clip into a fall protection safety harness and wear special shoes required to walk up or down the stairs ...

Seriously, even if the handrail added on the wall side ... gee wiz.

It is bad and dangerous enough to run up and down the stairs in one's socks on an ordinary wooden staircase ...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts