DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a glass ceramic electric range & was doing some reading online of how to care for it. I am swamped with various conflicting reports of "use this, dont use that" ect. Can anyone give some advice on what I actually CAN & CAN NOT use?

I have lots of cast iron cookwear & would really love to continue using that but have read that these cooktops can break the cast iron, really did not think that would be possible.

I know that they are more brittle & you cannot drop things on them & from what they have read they are prone to scraching (not a big concern for me)

Any advice on how to protect my new stove. I love to cook so really want to make sure the stove lasts.

·
Super Moderator
13,834 Posts
We have a glass cook top and have no problems at all from it. We also cook with cast iron with no problems. We did notice a scratch about 1/2 -3/4 inch long on the top, no idea how it got there but it doesn't hurt anything, that I am aware of.

We use a scotts bright and dove when something gets baked on, but most times we just clean it off with a dry paper towel after cooking. They do get splatters on them every time you cook, unless there is a lid, so it needs to be cleaned every time we cook. I guess that is better than the splatters going down inside the cooktop to be cleaned out.

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
the only type of cookware you don't want to use is glass. Cast iron is fine, the only thing you want to be careful of is sliding the pans back and forth, that is when the glass top gets scratched

Reactions: BigJim

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
We have a glass cooktop. It came with cleaning instructions. For most spills, we use an abrasive pad. For really baked on stuff, we use a retractable blade paint scraper designed to remove paint from a glass window. This has only been necessary a few times, we have had the cooktop over ten years now with no problem.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Timely thread for me. I am shopping for a new range/stove and would like to go with a glass cooktop, but we have a lot of glass cookware. What is the conflict between glass on glass?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timely thread for me. I am shopping for a new range/stove and would like to go with a glass cooktop, but we have a lot of glass cookware. What is the conflict between glass on glass?
Am curious myself. I do know my new range heats up insanely fast compared to my old coil burners. Like you turn it on & 2 seconds later it is red hot.

Best guess is it heats up so fast the temp shift in the glass cookware could cause it to shatter. However, that is only a guess.

·
Super Moderator
13,834 Posts
Now I am curious what will happen, we have been using the glass cookware for several years along with cast iron and SS so far and nothing has happened. Will the cooktop burst or the glass cookware?

I know for a while the new corning ware was bursting, including in the ovens, maybe that is what they are talking about. We have the old corning ware, so far so good. We have the glass stewers, not glass skillets.

·
Registered
10,879 Posts
Any advice on how to protect my new stove. I love to cook so really want to make sure the stove lasts.
Glass cook tops get scratched and that's a fact of life, and from my experience the type of cookware makes no difference. Glass, cast iron, SS. they will all scratch the surface just as easily.

Give the bottom of the cookware and the glass surface a quick wipe with a damp rag to get any grit off that might be on before you use. Flat bottoms are best. Heat and weight distribution is better

Try to avoid sliding your cookware across the surface, especially when it's hot (hot glass is softer and scratches easier). After it cools I use a razor blade to clean off the cooked on stuff, then follow that up with a water wash, and Cerama-bryte polish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts