DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to finish off my driveway in a grey-ish color.

Is there a product for finishing a concrete driveway with color that can withstand the constant parking, hot tires, etc? I've looked at staining and painting but the ones I've seen especially staining start to wear off after a few years.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
After-thought treatments on concrete after placement are usually not as effective or permanent as if incorporated during construction. - You did not say whether it is a new driveway or an existing one.

The reason is that they are applied and the penetration depth and effectiveness are limited because the effective depth is very small.

For pure color permanence, ready-mix pigmented concrete is without a doubt the best. Usually metallic, they are pigments and not "dyes" or carbon black and are a part of the concrete and not an after thought.

As far as stains and surface treatments, there are far too many types to mention each with different lives.

Dick

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a newer driveway and patio poured back in 2008. I know its not new construction but it has never been sealed or anything...if that helps any. :thumbsup:

What about some of those epoxy coverings? I have one on my garage floor that has worked flawlessly since 2006. Just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts