DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My Girder to floor joist connection seems to less than stellar! Any advice on what the proper connection is, and would it involve jacking up the girder or redoing the brick pillars? I tried to upload pics but my resolution is too high. Each pic is around 2-Mb.

thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
posting a pic

I did figure out how to "post" a pic but my file size is too big, like 2.45 Mb. I guess because of the camera resolution. I'm not a camera buff so there may be a learning curve with that :(.

I think I can post it on another forum and link to it. I'll try that.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm not understanding. Floor joists don't usually attach to the girder, they rest on top of it. May be toenailed to it, but that's all.

·
uva uvam vivendo variafit
641 Posts
In many cases they are connected to each other at the same elevation. That's the reason for joist hangers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pic reload

Ok, I think I have it resized now. I'll attach in a minute ~

The Joist rest on the Girder and the Girder rest on the concrete block pillar. The block pillar is my concern. The way the builder shimmed it between the block and the Girder looks like it was an after thought after a few too many beers :eek:

I was trying to find some reference pics on the web but so far haven't found any real data.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Ok, I think I have it resized now. I'll attach in a minute ~

The Joist rest on the Girder and the Girder rest on the concrete block pillar. The block pillar is my concern. The way the builder shimmed it between the block and the Girder looks like it was an after thought after a few too many beers :eek:

I was trying to find some reference pics on the web but so far haven't found any real data.

Kevin
That is one 1/2 assed support. That poor piece of plywood.
What's the cinder block setting on?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I haven't full verified it yet but I pretty sure they are sitting on a flat section of concrete. There is a few inches of dirt covering the very bottom blocks.

Next trip in the "cave", I'm gonna snap some pics of the bottom of the blocks and push some soil around to see whats there. Also will look at the ends of the Girders to checkout the Girder to concrete wall foundation. This IS in a crawl space by the way just to be clear.

If that section of concrete foundation is there like I think, I thought maybe I could put double block pillars on both supports and whatever else that is "should" be between the Girder and the concrete block.

Of course this likely would involve jacking up the Girder just enough to properly "rework" the supports. I need a model or guide to compare it to.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
The photo of the support suggests that this is an unacceptable support. However, it would be helpful if you could take a picture showing the entire support from the base of the footing to the top of the beam.

You showed what looks like a main beam, but without a floor plan it is not possible to know how much load it is carrying. In general terms, an adequate support for a main beam requires a footing of adequate size, usually a cast in place concrete pad. Typically there would be a concrete post that is cast with the pad, normally reinforced with steel, and a connection bracket at the top. Simpson makes an entire line of galvanized steel brackets specifically to connect a beam to a concrete post (the bracket is embedded into the post during the casting process).

An alternative approach is to use a wooden post, connected to the footer using a bracket, and connected to the beam using a bracket. In your case, that may be a simpler approach than casting a new post. In either case, you must install an adequately sized footer, unless by some miracle you have one already in place, but judging from that photo, there is a high probability that the entire support is junk. It may not be necessary to remove the footer, you could cast another one near it, if the change in effective span of the beam does not cause the maximum moment on the beam to exceed allowable limits. If you use a wooden post, it must be PT, and make sure you use a standoff bracket, the post should not contact either soil or concrete, unless it is ground contact rated.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I haven't full verified it yet but I pretty sure they are sitting on a flat section of concrete. There is a few inches of dirt covering the very bottom blocks.

Next trip in the "cave", I'm gonna snap some pics of the bottom of the blocks and push some soil around to see whats there. Also will look at the ends of the Girders to checkout the Girder to concrete wall foundation. This IS in a crawl space by the way just to be clear.

If that section of concrete foundation is there like I think, I thought maybe I could put double block pillars on both supports and whatever else that is "should" be between the Girder and the concrete block.

Of course this likely would involve jacking up the Girder just enough to properly "rework" the supports. I need a model or guide to compare it to.
After seeing that, yes, I would check all other pillars(are they're more?) and both girder ends.
Looks like the building inspector didn't bother going under the house and just used a flashlight from the access hole.:mad:

If that pillar is sitting on a proper footer, you could support the girder with cribbing and knock that pillar over. Try to locate some metal shims for fine tuning the height. Plywood shims don't cut it.

Grab a buddy and pull a string line from end to end to see if it has sagged.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, great input guys. There is a total of two of these supports. The span of this Girder is some 35 feet. It a small house, probably 1100 Sq ft. Well, after this post I'm going down under again to see what I can dig up. I'll post again in an hour or so with more pics.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pics Again

Thanks Tizzer for the link to the editor. I'll use that from now on its the easiest. Looks like there is a concrete slab at the bottom of the blocks. About a 7" x 9" left over area out from the block. I wonder if a foundation out fit would make it look like the new supports.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, I think there is maybe a 1" sway through the height of at least one of the supports :eek:.

Woods Basements systems are gonna take a look at it next week.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Perhaps where you live. I have owned ten houses over the years, and built two of them myself. None had butted joists.
That's the old "It's been done this way for years" approach! None of that new fangled technology here!:whistling2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts