DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Next question, I want to swap out standard breaker with a GFCI breaker to protect my lamp post receptacles. However, the pigtail neutral on the GFCI will not reach the neutral busbar. Is it code or legal to put breaker pigtail into wirenut, then splice neutral to bus bar. My panel is organized with zip ties, etc but is full and I can't easily move the breaker to the other side/bank breakers.

Thanks,

~Skelleyman

·
Registered
350 Posts
My electrical instructor, who is a master and also an inspector, says it's OK.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Totally OK.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is it then as simple as just swapping the breaker for a GFCI breaker? This breaker powers:

Lamp Posts w/ non-GFCI receptacles at the moment
Porch light
Driveway Light
Spot/flood lights on the corners of my house

The Driveway light only has one switch as does the porch light. The Lamp posts have one switch in which when on, they both go on as do the receptacles since they are tied in as well.

The Flood lights however have multiple locations where those can be turned on or off on 3-way switches. However all tied to same circuit. Can I just swap the breaker, is it that easy and simple on me?

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
You will also need to move the circuit neutral to the GFI breaker. Connect the breaker neutral to the neutral bus.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, Circuit Neutral which is already on the busbar.

Step 1. Turn circuit off and remove breaker.
Step 2. Remove circuit neutral from neutral busbar.
Step 3. Connect that to neutral side lug of GFCI breaker.
Step 4. Connect load (black wire) side to load lug
Step 5. Return Neutral pigtail coming off breaker back to neutral busbar removed in step 2.
Step 6. Connect breaker to Main bus, power on
Step 7. Test GFCI breaker trip via test button.
Step 8. Test Lamp post Receptacle with GFCI outlet tester/ trip button.

Thanks Jim. Am I missing anything?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts