DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
When I built my detached garage & wired it I had to install install these to meet code.. Ever tried to run power tools with these ?? They would trip every time I used my grinder , drill, etc,.. After inspection . I removed them. When/ if I sell , I may have to re install them
I actually have been using power tools on GFCI protected outlets building my sunroom & additions for 4+ years without tripping a single one
3/8 & 1/2" drills, circ saw, 2 different table saws, sawzall, grinder

I have some lamps that my AFCI's did not like
My two cents on these 2 statements....

For the past 2 months, I've been working on a commercial site, gutting and re-wiring 2 buildings. Each have temporary power for the trades to use, and all temp wiring is being fed through GFCI receptacles, including the temp lighting in one of the buildings. On any given day, people are using circ saws, sawzalls, grinders, drills, air compressors, radios, fans, etc., and countless extention cords. To date, no-one has tripped any of the GFCIs.

My point is that in my experience, GFCIs and AFCIs trip for a reason, not because they are 'bad' themselves. Sometimes it's a faulty tool or cord, sometimes it's an issue with the circuit wiring itself (which is usually the case with AFCIs tripping, though admittedly, we don't use AFCIs in commercial jobs, just residential).

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
In the bath my wife's hair dryer will sometimes cause that 1 to trip.. Vaccum cleaner will also cause the another 1 to trip.. Mabe the house is haunted:eek:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Wow, was it a full moon this weekend or did everyone just get uptight with toooooo much time off to think about project lists:laughing:

Maybe because the DIY stores were closed it caused undue stress and withdrawal symptoms

2 for 2 here and plumbing, I'm scared to read more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hopefully I can piggyback off of this thread... I want to add 2 or 3 outlets along the wall of my garage. Now that I know I must install GFI protected outlets, my next code question is: Must the conduit (I'll use solid, non-flexible) be run behind the drywall?

I'd much rather run it along the wall, as that is obviously much easier than cutting a bunch of holes in the drywall to drill through studs. They'd be along the same wall as the fuse box, so I will probably just add another circuit.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
here we go again

US Patent 5793587
"Ground Fault Interrupters (GFIs) are designed to open at relatively low levels of ground or earth leakage current (e.g., 5 ma), and consequently may be subject to frequent nuisance tripping due to capacitive or conductive leakage currents to the frame of grounded equipment (e.g. a swimming pool pump motor). "
And in this link
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM1851.pdf
the components connected to pin 1 and pin 6 can affect operation.

To prevent lawsuits, in a questionable situation it's probably better to have it trip falsely than to not have it trip when it should have.

Doubly insulated and ungrounded tools and appliances are probably immune to this capacitive leakage tripping.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
RP31....You mention the use of solid, non-flexible conduit. If you are using EMT, RMC, IMC, RNC, "wire mold", or the like, no, it doesn't have to be behind the drywall, as these types of conduit (in most cases) fit the need of physical protection.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Chill out

I don't appreciate the attitude in your response. I know th NEC states requirements, but as you well know (with your attitude you likely know everything) local codes can supercede NEC or they may use different year versions. My question was whether the current code REQUIRES a GFI in an attached garage.
Anyone else want to second scuby's answer?
tia,
BOb

Chill out or get out. You asked for an answer and got it then you complain.
Go ahead call me names I can take it. You should be happy there is good honest people trying to help wise guys like you.
Don't ask any more questions if you don't want to listen.:censored:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts