DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding new outlet in attached garage. Does the NEC recommend a GFI protected outlet?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't appreciate the attitude in your response. I know th NEC states requirements, but as you well know (with your attitude you likely know everything) local codes can supercede NEC or they may use different year versions. My question was whether the current code REQUIRES a GFI in an attached garage.
Anyone else want to second scuby's answer?
tia,
BOb

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Are you adding on to an existing circuit? Is that circuit already GFCI protected? 15A & 20A/125V receptacles in a garage (attached or not) are required to be GFCI protected. How it's done varies.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Under the 2005 code, all 'readily accessible' outlets must be GFCI protected. Under 2008, all outlets of any kind must be. 2005 made the distinction between outlets for garage door openers, refrigerators, etc. 2008 eliminated that distinction.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Adding new outlet in attached garage. Does the NEC recommend a GFI protected outlet?
I don't appreciate the attitude in your response. I know th NEC states requirements, but as you well know (with your attitude you likely know everything) local codes can supercede NEC or they may use different year versions. My question was whether the current code REQUIRES a GFI in an attached garage.
tia,
BOb
Re-read your 1st question
Actually your question was do they recommend it
My answer was they require it
Since you fail to indicate where you are located no-one can answer about your local code
But there are very few states that have not accepted 2008

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
tia,
BOb
How can you sense an attitude in a written text? Besides, your response above really doesn't make alot of sense. Your question was "Does the NEC recommend a GFI protected outlet?" You specifically asked about the NEC, not a local code. The answer you got was "No, they REQUIRE it".

You got your answer, then attacked the answerer, I do not appreciate your attitude.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dear Dave,
I apologize for my remark and I appreciate your help.
Hatchet buried on my part.
Bob

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Sorry my reply seemed "off", it was incomplete
No problem

Here's a link to state acceptance of 2008
http://www.childoutletsafety.org/files/NECAdoptionMap.pdf

I think if I had a freezer in the garage under 2005 I would have run a dedicated circuit without a GFCI

To be more clear about options:

If you are adding an outlet off of an existing GFCI breaker protected circuit then a GFCI outlet is not needed

If you are adding an outlet off the LOAD side of an existing GFCI outlet then another GFCI outlet is not needed

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think if I had a freezer in the garage under 2005 I would have run a dedicated circuit without a GFCI
This is what I did in my basement for a freezer. I ran a dedicated outlet for the freezer, only. This is allowed (a single outlet, not a duplex) under 2005, but not 2008.

Attachments

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts

When I built my detached garage & wired it I had to install install these to meet code.. Ever tried to run power tools with these ?? They would trip every time I used my grinder , drill, etc,.. After inspection . I removed them. When/ if I sell , I may have to re install them

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
I actually have been using power tools on GFCI protected outlets building my sunroom & additions for 4+ years without tripping a single one
3/8 & 1/2" drills, circ saw, 2 different table saws, sawzall, grinder

I have some lamps that my AFCI's did not like

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
When I built my detached garage & wired it I had to install install these to meet code.. Ever tried to run power tools with these ?? They would trip every time I used my grinder , drill, etc,.. After inspection . I removed them. When/ if I sell , I may have to re install them
That's interesting. I have run a shopvac, a jigsaw, a circular saw, a hammer drill, a refrigerator, an electric chain saw, a weed eater and a dremel from my garage's GFCI protected circuit with no trips, ever. The only thing that ever tripped it was a six inch fan. :)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Your a dope, something is wrong with your power tools...

I take that back, your not a dope, just not informed on what the problem is and how a GFCI really works.

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
Your a dope, something is wrong with your power tools...

I take that back, your not a dope, just not informed on what the problem is and how a GFCI really works.

You are correct . I'am not a dope. I do know how they work.. All my angle grinders will trip them when the brushes arc inside the grinders.. Now I didn't call anyone names.. I just said they didn't work for me. Had a bath ventilator that was tied in to gfci .. When I turned the fan off it would trip.. My electrician told me to take them out of the garage & rewire the fan where it would't be on the circuit with the gfci

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Similar experience - recently had a crew onsite installing granite countertops, and their grinders would repeatedly trip a GFCI protected circuit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts