DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The vacuum wasn't sucking so I put it on a card table while I disassembled hoses, connections, then flicking the switch on then off while trying different things, coming to the conclusion we need a new vacuum as this disturbed my installing door knobs on the new kitchen cabinets and I needed to move on with the kitchen renovation. I then cut the plugged in vac cord with a plastic handled scissors causing sparking at the scissors but the kitchen wall GFI outlet did not trip! Why? It's new. Black hot is on the brass screw that says Line; White common is on the other side, the silver screw; and the bare Ground wire is connected to the ground outlet screw.

·
Usually Confused
7,257 Posts
Setting aside why one would do that, there was no fault to ground. You created a short circuit (power between the two wires with virtually no load) but it was quick enough to not trip the breaker. I've done it inadvertently with hedge trimmers - more than once; no tripped breaker.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Had it been on an arc fault circuit, most likely it would have. I would now test the existing GFCI with the test button. There is a reason they say to test monthly.

·
Electrician
384 Posts
A GFCI device is looking for balance. It measures what goes out on the black, and what comes back on the white. If the 2 don't match up, the current is going to ground, hence "ground fault". If you had been cutting a wire with a grounding conductor in it, it most likely would have tripped (if you cut into the hot and ground etc etc, but I digress).

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
My (all plastic body) vacuum cleaner does not have any Ground/Earth connection in the power cord - it is "double insulated".
Were I to do such a thing as JLawrence0864, the RCD would not be tripped either.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those who may be thinking it was a stupid thing, Yes; for those who think I am stupid, No; for those who think I was busy, occupied, mind on something else, forgetful, Yes.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
GFCI is only looking for one thing. It wants to see that the hot current is exactly the same as the neutral current. (or if there are 3 or more wires, that all currents cancel out when phase is considered). As long as currents are equal, they don't care what the load is... vacuum, coffee maker, scissors...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Now you know what was wrong with the vacuum cleaner. The plug was defective or the cord between the plug and the point which you cut was defective.

The GFI should not have tripped but the circuit breaker should have.

Get out your multi-meter and you should find that you have no continuity between the prongs and the ends of the cut cord.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts