DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a GFCI feed another receptacle thru its Load terminal, does that mean this receptacle is protected as well?
If I don't really care for the additional $12, can I feed another GFCI thru the Line terminal of the 1st GFCI? (hope I am clear.....)
Thanks

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
When a GFCI feed another receptacle thru its Load terminal, does that mean this receptacle is protected as well?
If I don't really care for the additional $12, can I feed another GFCI thru the Line terminal of the 1st GFCI? (hope I am clear.....)
Thanks
The directions that comes with the device, or the info at the manufacturer website will tell you that info. Pass & Seymour & Leviton have the instruction sheets on their sites.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so the new GFCI I am installing is upstairs
And the one that feeds it is downstairs (I know because it tripped and the one upstairs was not powered...)
So like I said, if I don't care for the additional $12 and prefer to have 1 GFCI in the bathroom upstairs, I should feed it from the one downstairs, making sure ALL wires are on the Line terminal?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks
Yes, and yes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That's a good set of graphics for this discussion.

For the OP, the second graphic shows the 1st GFCI being connected using pigtails instead of feeding through the supply and the outgoing conductors to the 2nd GFCI. That's a good way to do it, although not necessary unless a local ordinance requires it.

On the top wiring diagram, http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/electrical/wiring-multiple-gfci-outlets.html would I have to snap that little bar on the outlet to feed both top and bottom?
You would only snap the bar to separate the top from the bottom, so the answer is no.

BTW, there are NO bars to snap on a GFCI receptacle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts