DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to exchange a regular recepticle with a gfci.Upon opening the box, I saw that there is a tan wire grouped with the white neutrals.I tried several scenerios with trying to pig tail the grouping to the neutral line on the gfci. It tripped. There is a cabinet light above the box and when I disconnected the brown wire it shut off the light. This brought me to the conclusion that the brown wire is a switch loop. Is there any way I can arm the gfci with this hot brown grouped to the whites and previously pigtailed to the neutral on the receptical which worked , but not now with the line neutral on the gfci? Thx, Jal64

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Connect the same wires that were connected to the original receptacle unit to the GFCI unit "Line" terminals.

Leave all of the other connections the same.

If two wires want to go under one screw, take a short lengh of wire (pigtail) of the same color and connect that to the screw. Connect the other end to the two wires in question using a wire nut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.