DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because a couple of 15A GFCI outlets that were originally installed in my home a few years ago kept going off, I thought I'd replacement them with a 20A. I installed one in my garage without a problem and the outlet there stopped flipping and things are working fine.

I then replaced one in my kitchen that was constantly tripping off. However, after installing the new 20A outlet there, the outlet does not work. In fact, a couple of outlets on that same line do not work yet a few more DO work.

I turned off the breaker for that switch and uninstalled the outlet and flipped the breaker back on to check with a meter to see if the inline wire was hot. It was not and none of the other breakers have tripped. I'm stumped and have no idea which way to go.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

·
Naildriver
14,912 Posts
Both 15 amp and 20 amp GFCI's will trip when there is a ground fault, not an overload. It appears you may have an appliance or lamp, etc plugged in that is causing a fault. Unplug everything on the circuit and reset the GFCI. The GFCI will trip well before an overload will trip the breaker.

15 amp GFCI's are approved for a 20 amp circuit as long as there are more receptacles on the run. If it is a dedicated 20 amp circuit you will need the 20 amp GFCI.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts