DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i wire a double outlet with GFCI protection such that the bottom oulet is always hot and the load outlet is only hot when switched from another box. It seems i'd have to diconnect the hot wire connection between the 2 outles an i dont see how that is done ....
Thanks for any help
Ted

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,113 Posts
Provide the GFCI from an upstream receptacle or breaker. Then feed a regular receptacle that you want half switched.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. i got it,that i can place another outoor receptacle and power it from the load and it'll be protected.
But, and this is probably verbotten but...... i noticed some little screws to open up the outlet if i could disconnect the connection betwetween line black and load black then ran from line black to switch and back down again to load black .... Is that possible in this here universe . thanks in advance
Ted

·
Super Moderator
23,536 Posts
You can not split a GFCI receptacle like a regular receptacle and have the top hot and the bottom switched.
The LOAD terminals are used to feed additional receptacles that you want to be GFCI protected. That line can be switched if you want.

·
Master Electrician
4,686 Posts
thanks guys. i got it,that i can place another outoor receptacle and power it from the load and it'll be protected.
But, and this is probably verbotten but...... i noticed some little screws to open up the outlet if i could disconnect the connection betwetween line black and load black then ran from line black to switch and back down again to load black .... Is that possible in this here universe . thanks in advance
Ted
I'm sorry I don't understand what you are trying to do. Suffice to say the line and load can not be interconnected.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Can i wire a double outlet with GFCI protection such that the bottom oulet is always hot and the load outlet is only hot when switched from another box. It seems i'd have to diconnect the hot wire connection between the 2 outles an i dont see how that is done ....
Thanks for any help
Ted
where is the gfci ?
If it is part of the recepticule ?
Then you will need to run a switch loop from the gfci
to switch the controlled side
Don't forget to break the tab.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
howzabout if i hard wire the (low voltage lights tranformer- which is what i planned to plug into the switched outlet in the first place ) to the load terminal , with the black line making a trip up to the switch first . that should work and protect the line yes ???. Thanks again, i'm a novice but am finding this project very interesting .... all the best Ted

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,113 Posts
where is the gfci ?
If it is part of the recepticule ?
Then you will need to run a switch loop from the gfci
to switch the controlled side
Don't forget to break the tab.

There is no tab on a GFCI receptacle, the top and bottom cannot be electrically separated.

·
Super Moderator
23,536 Posts
howzabout if i hard wire the (low voltage lights tranformer- which is what i planned to plug into the switched outlet in the first place ) to the load terminal , with the black line making a trip up to the switch first . that should work and protect the line yes ???. Thanks again, i'm a novice but am finding this project very interesting .... all the best Ted
That will work as long as you use proper cable up to the switch box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.