DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My microwave is on the counter next to the sink. It is plugged into a GFCI outlet. Several days ago while cleaning the water on the counter, my wife got a shock. The GFCI did not shut down. I immediately replaced it. Today my wife again got a shock. The outlet did shut down. I called the company. They said that the unit should shut down before getting a shock. I would appreciate any insight into this problem.

thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,090 Posts
Did she get a shock from the microwave?

This should be moved to the electrical section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
The shock she is getting may not exceed the trip threshhold for the GFCI. Sounds like the microwave has a small current leak. When she gets the shock, where is her other hand? Is she touching something else. To get a shock, current needs to flow somewhere to complete the circuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,606 Posts
Use the test button on your GFI and make sure it's wired and working properly. Is there a chance this is a static electric shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
Have a good look at the chord for cracks or knicks in the insulation.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top