DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about a month now I've been having a strange relationship with a gfci outlet in my kitchen.

Nothing is plugged into it.

When I run my dishwasher at night, the gfci outlet trips and turns off the dishwasher toward the end of the cycle.

Also impacted is the stove, and a wine fridge I have plugged into a different outlet on the same line.

Other things do not go off (like the microwave) which I think is on the same line because if I flip the circuit breaker for the kitchen all of those items turn off

But when the gfci trips the circuit breaker itself does not.

But the weirdest part is that the gfci does NOT flip when I run the dishwasher in the day time.

From what I can tell nothing else is running in the evening that isn't running I the daytime that would be on the same line.

What on earth is going on and why does this consistently trip but only at night?

I had an electrician out and he said the gfci is fine. I had an appliance man out and he says the dishwasher is fine but noted the grounding wire seems to be cut. But that did not appear to be a recent thing and this has only been going on for the past month.

The dishwasher guy seemed to think the gas stove electrical line actually runs into the dishwasher -as in he thought it was spliced. But he could not say for sure. He also had a very thick Russian accent and a terrible command of English so I'm really not sure what he was saying, but he was very nice about the whole ordeal.

Thoughts?

Is it a ghost? ;-)

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
You have said some confussing things !
Where is this gfci that trips ?
Is it in the panel or a gfci outlet.

You seem to have a lot on this one line ?
Please clarify
Have they re purpossed an old stove circuit ?
If they have what are they using for neutral and ground
Are they seperate ?
You mentioned a cut ground ?
For gfci to work properly both the neutral line
And the ground lines must be kept seperate after the gfci.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Grantham said:
For about a month now I've been having a strange relationship with a gfci outlet in my kitchen. Nothing is plugged into it. When I run my dishwasher at night, the gfci outlet trips and turns off the dishwasher toward the end of the cycle. Also impacted is the stove, and a wine fridge I have plugged into a different outlet on the same line. Other things do not go off (like the microwave) which I think is on the same line because if I flip the circuit breaker for the kitchen all of those items turn off But when the gfci trips the circuit breaker itself does not. But the weirdest part is that the gfci does NOT flip when I run the dishwasher in the day time. From what I can tell nothing else is running in the evening that isn't running I the daytime that would be on the same line. What on earth is going on and why does this consistently trip but only at night? I had an electrician out and he said the gfci is fine. I had an appliance man out and he says the dishwasher is fine but noted the grounding wire seems to be cut. But that did not appear to be a recent thing and this has only been going on for the past month. The dishwasher guy seemed to think the gas stove electrical line actually runs into the dishwasher -as in he thought it was spliced. But he could not say for sure. He also had a very thick Russian accent and a terrible command of English so I'm really not sure what he was saying, but he was very nice about the whole ordeal. Thoughts? Is it a ghost? ;-)
Disconnect every device on this line except the dishwasher. If no trip, then reconnect each device or appliance one at a time until you find the cause.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You stated "When I run my dishwasher at night, the gfci outlet trips and turns off the dishwasher toward the end of the cycle.

Also "Other things do not go off (like the microwave) which I think is on the same line because if I flip the circuit breaker for the kitchen all of those items turn off."
This indicates that the microwave is "upstream" of the GFCI Outlet but this outlet is tripping and disconnecting the other outlets "downstream" from it.

The dishwasher concerned will have a "Calrod" heating element - similar to that used on electric cook-tops.
The insulation inside these "rods" is a type of ceramic material, which can absorb moisture if the seal where the connection is made is not completely air tight. Even a small amount of moisture can provide a "leakage" path to the earthed metal outer casing - which will trip a GFCI.

For this reason, in this country, such heating devices (Stoves, Water Heaters etc.) need not be protected by a RCD or RCBO if they are permanently connected to a dedicated circuit (or via a "non user accessible" socket outlet on a dedicated circuit.)

Since you state that "the gfci outlet trips and turns off the dishwasher toward the end of the cycle" it seems that a small amount of water vapor may (eventually) be reaching the inside of the "calrod" element and causing this problem. The remaining heat may then dry out this vapour and the dishwasher later initially operates satisfactorily.

I suggest that you should run the device on a non GFCI protected outlet (on a dedicated circuit [?]) or
replace the heating element.

My choice would be the former.

You also wrote "I had an appliance man out and he says the dishwasher is fine but noted the grounding wire seems to be cut. But that did not appear to be a recent thing and this has only been going on for the past month. "

The grounding wire being cut is NOT a trivial matter and it should be restored to good order immediately.

Any "leakage" which is tripping the GFCI is (obviously) finding its way to earth by some other connection but having this appliance ungrounded is NOT a safe situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I suspected it had to do with heating component since it happens at the end of the cycle.

Any idea why this ONLY happens at night?

If I run it in the day, totally fine. If I run it after say 7pm... It trips.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,113 Posts
Most DWs let you turn off the heat (drying) cycle. Turn it off and see if the GFCI trips. If not, your DW has a fault.

·
Super Moderator
16,900 Posts
dishwaher, microwave, stove, doesn't need to be on a gfci, also all of those items needs their own breaker and countertop outlet must also have their own breaker
This differs from the NEC requirements. Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
An awful lot on that circuit. There is no requirement that these items being on a separate circuit but it sounds like a hack got a hold of the electrical in that kitchen. The reason not everything turns off is that a GFCI has a line (supply side ) and load side. Power comes in through the supply side, powers the outlet. The load side is connected to the GFCI so anything connected to the load side is protected . I suspect your microwave is connected to the supply before this GFCI . There is nothing wrong with that. That ground to the dishwasher needs to be fixed. It's a safety issue. When your the time or money I would have that room rewired properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.