DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my new GFCI receptacle has 2 holes for the neutral and hot on both the line side and the load side. Can I continue a circuit on the line side by using both holes? I don't want to be on the load side and it would be nice to get rid of those wire nuts behind that fat GFCI :laughing:

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
Yes, you can. Just ensure that those connections are tight.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Yep you can but before you do that make sure you know where " down stream " part go like other receptale in that room or serve outside receptale or others.

Just keep in your mind there are few restrictions and you have to becarefull where the downstream circuit goes some case you may have to protect the downstream of that circuit so before you actually change the GFCI check what else it is on that circuit and we will go from there.

Merci,
Marc

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Just to point out (this happened in another thread), you can if it's a 2-wire circuit. You have to pig-tail the neutral if it's a multi-wire branch circuit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is one circuit, a lighting circuit in the cellar. I need a GFCI receptacle in the cellar and in the middle of this circuit would be perfect.

Thanks

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Just to point out (this happened in another thread), you can if it's a 2-wire circuit. You have to pig-tail the neutral if it's a multi-wire branch circuit.
To readers if you have MWBC this is very important part you have to make a pigtail connection on netural conductor the reason why if something happend to the netural conductor connecton go bad or come open anything else on that circuit can make magic smoke pretty fast and it don't take much to smoke it out.

So that something you have to remember it when you run MWBC format.

Merci,
Marc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts