DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sub panel in my garage the is fed from the Square D main panel in my house and I am attempting to install a Square D 20A GFCI breaker in the Square D sub panel. The GFCI breaker is going to replace a regular 20A breaker. The only items on this circuit will be 8 outlets. I have the breaker wired according to code. The GFCI breaker trips as soon as I flip the breaker switch. My main panel is 100A and the neutral and ground wires are landed on the same bus bar. The sub panel has the separate neutral and ground bus. The main panel is bonded, the sub panel is not bonded. What could cause the GFCI breaker to trip immediately?

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,664 Posts
Did you connect the pigtail breaker neutral to the neutral bar and the circuit neutral to the breaker?

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,654 Posts
You did not tie into a MWBC that was not adequetly marked/installed did you.

Maybe you have a leakage in your circuit.....

If you know the circuit... I'd go to the first recep and disconnect the remaining downstream......

then try the GFI....

If it holds, its pretty definitive that you have a downstream problem.

If it trips, it is not definitive of the problem as there could be a leakage between the breaker and first recep.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,654 Posts
You did not tie into a MWBC that was not adequetly marked/installed did you.

Maybe you have a leakage in your circuit.....

If you know the circuit... I'd go to the first recep and disconnect the remaining downstream......

then try the GFI....

If it holds, its pretty definitive that you have a downstream problem.

If it trips, it is not definitive of the problem as there could be a leakage between the breaker and first recep.

GFI receps and breakers are subject to failure... and you may think you have a new breaker, but if bought from a BigBox, people do return old or broken material that gets back on the shelf.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.