DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will admit right out of the gate that this is my first time working with GFCI breakers. This is a pool pump circuit that wired to the breaker and that was how the filter was turned on and off. I am installing the T103 timer and have wired it in the following manner. It is tripping the GFCI breaker the second I turn it on.
Timer box
Terminal A white wire ran to Neutral bus
Terminal 1 hot from GFCI breaker
Terminal 2 hot side of pump

Pump Neutral to GFCI breaker neutral

I can't figure out why the GFCI trips as soon as I reset it....

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
There might be a small leakage to ground within the timer.
Dependant on how the internal circuitry is configured.
Have you tried another brand of timer ?

Has the pump worked ok on the gfci circuit,
before the timer was installed ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terminal A is the clock neutral. I tried running a wire from the clock neutral to both the GFCI neutral and the neutral bus with no change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pump worked fine hooked straight to the GFCI for the last couple years I have owned the house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The breaker is wired identically... However, I need to go look at the box because I believe my ground wires all go to the far end of the neutral bus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The breaker trips without the pump wired. I am leaning toward the timer at this point. I have found several posts throughout the web saying the GFCI breaker and the T103 timer don't play well together. Some suggest to put a normal breaker in the box. My pump is in a covered shelter over 30' from the pool?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Timer box
Terminal A white wire ran to Neutral bus
Terminal 1 hot from GFCI breaker
Terminal 2 hot side of pump

Pump Neutral to GFCI breaker neutral

I can't figure out why the GFCI trips as soon as I reset it....
Terminal A white wire ran to Neutral busThis is your problem. The timer is sending current back to the neutral buss and not the breaker thru this connection. . The timer is getting current from the GFCI and not getting it back via the neutral connection at the breaker. The GFCI is not seeing all current returning that is going out. The wiring should be set up as follows. Hot from the GFCI to the timer and then the pump. Grounds all connected via the ground screws at each device and the Neutral from the GFCI breaker to the timer then to the pump

1 - 12 of 12 Posts