DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

GFCI Breaker Required for Outbuilding?

4956 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Jim Port
So I ran power to an outbuilding at my home (18" deep) and installed an Eaton BR 125amp load center in it. I plan on two circuits there for now, a 20amp breaker for outlets and a few lights which will be protected locally by GFCI outlets (or GFCI breaker) and a 20 amp breaker for an outlet feeding a fixed 240V compressor. Not sure if this is needed to have GFCI, but I would go with either a GFCI breaker or GFCI outlet for this one. Future work might include a circuit for a small window A/C unit or heater. It is actually a shed 20'x10'.

Building is 100' away and I have run 2-2-2-4 aluminum feed cable (URD) in 1 1/2" conduit. Back at the main panel in the house, do I need to install a 60amp GFCI breaker for this building, or will a regular 60amp breaker do? The CH 60amp GFCI breaker would be $135 and the BR breakers or any GFCI outlets required for the shed would be substantially cheaper.

But basically, what I'm asking, do I NEED a GFCI breaker at the main panel by Code or can I get away with local GFCI-ing at the shed?
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
You need 18" of cover over conduit, 24" of cover over direct burial.

I wouldn't bother with GFCI protecting the entire shed. Just breaker it 90A and G2G.

On the shed, you'll need to GFCI protect the 120V receptacles through a GFCI breaker, deadfront, switch, switch-recep combo, or recep.

The lights do not need GFCI protection and should be on a different circuit from things like saws. Their own circuit is just a good idea. Panel spaces are cheap and you have plenty I'm sure.

You'll need to GFCI protect the compressor once NEC 2020 lands in your jurisdiction. Pull the permit now lol. You can sidestep the GFCI requirement by hardwiring it (is it going anywhere? :)
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.