DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jack of All Trades
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm still rewiring my garage (takes me forever to do anything :wink: ) But I had some problems with my GFCI breaker tripping, over and over until I could narrow it down to a bad fluorescent light fixture.

BUT doing all that running down to the basement just to reset really made me want to put GFCI outlets in the garage so I can just swap the breaker to a normal 20A.

Already got two of these: Hubbell GF5350IA

Brand any good? Got 'em cheap off Ebay NIB from some surplus electrical supply places.

In case you're wondering, I got faceless because they'll be mounted high on the wall where my two 20A lines enter the garage so I can run the GFCI's first and put all the other loads down-stream. I wanted them to be "GFCI switches" and nothing else.

Just wondering if this is a good brand or what? I considered going the even more cheapo route and using Harbor Freight stuff, but wasn't sure they wouldn't trip all the time. (or trip at all when they actually need to :eek:) plus they don't have faceless ones.

Oh, and also wanted to know if there's any issue mounting two of these (for two separate 20A lines) in the same double-ganger box? Or would separate boxes be better?

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,353 Posts
2 in the same box is fine but don't mount them where you can not reach them. You have to be able to test or rest them without a ladder.

Also some GFCI's that you buy on eBay are older models that do not meet current code but you should be OK with "dead front" models

·
Super Moderator
9,446 Posts
Never buy anything that may be needed to protect your life from HF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Jack of All Trades
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never buy anything that may be needed to protect your life from HF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, my reasoning exactly!

I'm not going to mount them on the roof! Just right above head-level, easily within reach. Been reading stuff all morning and looks like they're a pretty good brand, I'd never heard of Hubbell before buying these, just wanted to make sure they weren't chinese garbage (like most things on ebay these days).

·
Super Moderator
15,312 Posts
Hubbell has always be on the more expensive side of wiring devices.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
The Hubbell’s I’ve installed were nice. Seemed to have the quality. Easy to install. Course I didn’t have to buy ‘em….Boss just said, “Here ya go….have a nice day”.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Actually I've had a bee in my bonnet about the apparent quality of GFCI's for a long time now. Maybe I'm a brute but every... shall we say readily available brand... seems to crumble in my hand like a dried flower. Anyone know of a... filled body GFCI as opposed to eggshell construction for just a few dollars more?

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Leviton 'Smartlock Pro' series. Try electrical supply houses, not the big box stores.

·
Jack of All Trades
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 in the same box is fine but don't mount them where you can not reach them. You have to be able to test or rest them without a ladder.
Hey guys, got one of the gfci's installed and tested, everything I wired works perfect! I do have a follow up question though about putting both gfci into one double-gang box. Is it still okay if each is not only on a separate 20A breaker, but also from an entirely separate "service drop"-not sure if that's the term.
I have 2 meters and 2 panels and a 20A line from each panel is running to the garage. So I'm still not sure if it's okay for them to share grounding through the double-gang box? Hope that makes sense.
If needed I thought I could just move one of the 20A lines so they're both in the same panel, but only if I have to. ??

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
Hey guys, got one of the gfci's installed and tested, everything I wired works perfect! I do have a follow up question though about putting both gfci into one double-gang box. Is it still okay if each is not only on a separate 20A breaker, but also from an entirely separate "service drop"-not sure if that's the term.
I have 2 meters and 2 panels and a 20A line from each panel is running to the garage. So I'm still not sure if it's okay for them to share grounding through the double-gang box? Hope that makes sense.
If needed I thought I could just move one of the 20A lines so they're both in the same panel, but only if I have to. ??
No problem at all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm gonna check out those SmartPros, I saw a pic from the rear and they have 4 steel screws holding front to back... impressed already! And they seem to be only a few dollars more... thanks for the tip!

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
I'm gonna check out those SmartPros, I saw a pic from the rear and they have 4 steel screws holding front to back... impressed already! And they seem to be only a few dollars more... thanks for the tip!
:thumbsup:
Hope you like 'em

1 - 13 of 13 Posts