DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to ready for my rough in inspection for electricity on my remote mountain property.

I do not know electrical code well enough, especially NEC 2011. I am worried that I will have to pay for another inspection if I am not well prepared.

I have had the trench, and ground rods (2) inspected and passed. The meter box and transformer are in place and wire run from the trench to the workshop.

I have 2 GFCI 20 amp breakers, and plenty of 20 amp GFCI outlets. The lighting circuits are 15 amp and not GFCI.

I have 220volt tools (air compressor, radial saw)20amp, and a 50amp arc welder. I have never seen a 220volt GFCI circuit breaker. I have separate breakers for each of the tools.

Do I need GFCI 220volt breakers and a GFCI 15amp breaker for the lighting?

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
Not needed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is this building a garage? Separate from a home on the property?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a garage, separate from the house that burned down prior to my purchase. It will not be used as a garage but a workshop/breakroom. It is 70ft from the transformer and 80ft from the building site. I will convert the old basement into a garage and build the new abode adjacent to the future garage.

·
Super Moderator
8,873 Posts
You do not need both gfci breakers and receptacles for the 120v.
You could use one or the other.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the two 110v 20amp GFCI breakers on circuits with 3 regular 2-outlet fixtures each. These are for breakroom appliances (coffee pot, microwave, toaster oven, crockpot, and food processor)

I have separate 110v 20amp GFCI outlets as the first outlet only on circuits with only 1 regular 2-outlet fixture each. These are for electric tools.

I have a separate 110v 20amp circuit with a GFCI outlet for the refrigerator.

Does this sound OK?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts