DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ptrap is just so close as shown below. I can flip the overflow/drain such that the drain exits horizontally out the back if that helps. What fittings do I need to make this work? This is an American Standard drain/overflow kit.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,686 Posts
Insert a 45 degree slip coupling in that short piece of black pipe downstream from the trap.

·
Naildriver
12,165 Posts
Lengthen the ABS out pipe and turn the ptrap sideways to the joist. Will it fit, then?

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
I think his issue is the trap is too high?
You should change to a solvent weld (glue) trap and solvent weld waste/overflow assembly instead of compression.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think his issue is the trap is too high?
You should change to a solvent weld (glue) trap and solvent weld waste/overflow assembly instead of compression.
Yes, thank you - I should have said the height of the trap is the problem. The waste/overflow assembly is ABS. So I would solvent weld the trap straight to the w/o assembly? Im trying to visualize how it would all fit together.

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
Yes, thank you - I should have said the height of the trap is the problem. The waste/overflow assembly is ABS. So I would solvent weld the trap straight to the w/o assembly? Im trying to visualize how it would all fit together.
You would remove the male adapter from the wye. Then extend with 1-1/2" ABS pipe- instal a solvent weld trap at the desired location. The use this (ABS) instead of the W&O you have.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...flow-Tub-Drain-in-Chrome-WO-3-CR-TC/206393883

I can't guarantee you'll gain the space you need, but it's possible. I avoid compression nuts as they tend to fail over time. I assume this is why code says they cannot be concealed without an access door

Reactions: dgfit

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You would remove the male adapter from the wye. Then extend with 1-1/2" ABS pipe- instal a solvent weld trap at the desired location. The use this (ABS) instead of the W&O you have.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...flow-Tub-Drain-in-Chrome-WO-3-CR-TC/206393883

I can't guarantee you'll gain the space you need, but it's possible. I avoid compression nuts as they tend to fail over time. I assume this is why code says they cannot be concealed without an access door
Thank you, I understand. I was also wondering if it would be ok to just let the trap be “deeper” (hope that makes sense)

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
I work with the UPC code so I can only say what it allows and that is that a trap seal shall be between 2" and 4"
An inspector will pick up on altered traps as the do not look normal...... he/she sees traps every day....

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,902 Posts
Thank you, I understand. I was also wondering if it would be ok to just let the trap be “deeper” (hope that makes sense)
If you mean can the trap be below your trap arm (or otherwise can your trap arm have a negative drain slope)....the code answer is NO.

(However, as a comment I would say that I have encountered negative slope trap arms under kitchen cabinets pretty often...that functioned ok...but they were easily accesable and probably cleaned out often. Just a comment)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you mean can the trap be below your trap arm (or otherwise can your trap arm have a negative drain slope)....the code answer is NO.

(However, as a comment I would say that I have encountered negative slope trap arms under kitchen cabinets pretty often...that functioned ok...but they were easily accesable and probably cleaned out often. Just a comment)
Thanks - I was referring to the depth of the water seal that ePlumber answered. I have ordered an abs trap and waste/overflow. I suspect that is going to work.

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
Thanks - I was referring to the depth of the water seal that ePlumber answered. I have ordered an abs trap and waste/overflow. I suspect that is going to work.
You will most likely need to supply your own 1-1/2" San Tee :wink2:

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
Yeah I have one. One question - the waste overflow specifically says sched 40 ABS - is all DWV ABS schedule 40?
Yes. The real thin stuff with compression nuts is tubular

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Should I add a cleanout somewhere? Maybe in the vent? There will be a linen closet on the other side. I was planning to add an access panel for the tub plumbin inside that closet. It will be a tight fit, but will still provide access. I could make a cleanout accessible as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts