DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a a Dura ceramic kitchen floor installed this past week. The floor is black with brown. I wanted a black grout but they do not make black, went with charcoal. Anything I can put on the grout to make it darker? THANKS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
You could cut out all the grout and go back with black. Yes, more than a few companies make black grout. Or whip out the old sharpie and draw on the grout. Just stay in the lines. Lol
 

·
Tileguy
Joined
·
10,705 Posts
You could cut out all the grout and go back with black. Yes, more than a few companies make black grout.
Maybe! Maybe not!

Duraceramic uses it's own proprietary grout product, not just any grout will work with Duraceramic.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Bud Cline said:
Maybe! Maybe not!

Duraceramic uses it's own proprietary grout product, not just any grout will work with Duraceramic.:)
Lol, proprietary acrylic grout? Yeah, warning- use our grout or we will lose money. Ha
 

·
Tileguy
Joined
·
10,705 Posts
Lol, proprietary acrylic grout? Yeah, warning- use our grout or we will lose money. Ha
Well that's the facts of the industry my friend. I can't disagree with you about where the grout comes from but if they intend to maintain any kind of a warranty on their installation they can't screw around with the recommendations of Congoleum or use anyone else's grout product.

It appears you know something about this area. Why is it you don't know anything about warranties. Are you here to help and offer quality advice or are you here to shoot from the hip and argue?:)

Who said it was an acrylic grout? You didn't get that from ME did you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I think you may be right, I DO shoot from the hip. And by shoot from the hip, I mean use common sense. I've never had grout fail on me. Only when the substrate wasn't properly done, or the foundation has issues. If the subfloor is correct, and the tile laid properly, I could grout that with any number of high quality grouts and never have one problem with it. Tell me you disagree. I think you may be to hung up on warranties that aren't worth the paper they're printed on. So yes, if I was doing a job and the customer wanted black grout, I would have no problem installing black grout and giving my own warranty. Maybe that isn't the best advise. You could be right.
 

·
Tileguy
Joined
·
10,705 Posts
What is important to me here is to provide the questioners with accurate information from industry guidelines, what they do is their business. When they remove the grout specified by Congoleum and re-grout with some other product they are on their own. It isn't being "hung up" on warranties or the quality of a warranty, it is being prudent and accurate and staying within industry standards in what you tell someone.:yes: I'm sure the owner(s) of this website would be more appreciative of information coming from someone experienced and knowledgeable than someone with a "screw the rules full speed ahead damn the consequences" type of approach.

I try to treat every issue here as if I was the installer and I was being paid to make the installation and I was ultimately and financially responsible for the outcome.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Bud Cline said:
What is important to me here is to provide the questioners with accurate information from industry guidelines, what they do is their business. When they remove the grout specified by Congoleum and re-grout with some other product they are on their own. It isn't being "hung up" on warranties or the quality of a warranty, it is being prudent and accurate and staying within industry standards in what you tell someone.:yes: I'm sure the owner(s) of this website would be more appreciative of information coming from someone experienced and knowledgeable than someone with a "screw the rules full speed ahead damn the consequences" type of approach.

I try to treat every issue here as if I was the installer and I was being paid to make the installation and I was ultimately and financially responsible for the outcome.:)
Wow, so saying that I would use non proprietary grout makes me inexperienced and non knowledgable? Well then label me crazy, because I WOULD warranty that grout with no problem at all. I've been remodeling and tiling for 20 yrs. I'm certain I know how to do high quality work that I don't worry about coming back to bite me later on. Now I can understand where you're coming from on always following manufacturers recommendations, but then there is just silliness. I want you to tell me that if you put down non proprietary grout you wouldn't warranty it, and you would stay awake worrying about it at night. That being said, don't you think some people come here to get the experienced point of view, not just what they could read off a manufacturers web site. It's taken me 20yrs to learn in and outs, which manufactures recommendations are absurd and which ones should be followed. I think real people are looking for THAT kind of experience and knowledge, not just some manufacturers instruction manual. At the very least I believe they deserve both view, and can make there own informed decisions.
 

·
Tileguy
Joined
·
10,705 Posts
You know what? Hot heads like you are a dime a dozen and they come and go around here all the time. You won't last long here either.

I re-read my words and I can't find where I said you were "inexperienced and non knowledgable", could you point that out to me please? Maybe I missed it.:)

I'll argue with you some other time maybe.:)

Right now you aren't worth my effort.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Bud Cline said:
You know what? Hot heads like you are a dime a dozen and they come and go around here all the time. You won't last long here either.

I re-read my words and I can't find where I said you were "inexperienced and non knowledgable", could you point that out to me please? Maybe I missed it.:)

I'll argue with you some other time maybe.:)

Right now you aren't worth my effort.:)
Sounds like yur the hothead my friend. And you have a short memory, here's what you wrote. (I'm sure the owner(s) of this website would be more appreciative of information coming from someone experienced and knowledgeable than someone with a "screw the rules full speed ahead damn the consequences" type of approach.) listen bud, by no means do I want to get you pissed off, but you challenged my points, so I felt it necessary to defend my position. Look, I wouldn't be in business for as long as I have been if I didn't know what I was doing. So how about this, you give people the textbook definition of what they're supposed to do, and I'll share my (shoot from the hip methods), and these intelligent people can make their own decisions on which direction to go. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Stan,

Susan's floor is already installed, and you didn't do it. What is the point of saying you would have given her the black grout she wanted? I'm sure she expects a warranty and may not be willing to cut out all the charcoal grout. It's too late now unless she wants to spend the extra $$$, void the warranty and take a chance that re grouting will turn out to her satisfaction.

As Bud said, we can't tell people to modify and use products from another company. That would be bad advice.

Jaz
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top