DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've decided on going with granite countertops. Any suggestions or tips to loo for when buying? Are there fakes out there? How can I tell? What should we look for? Etc. etc.

Thanks a lot !

·
Registered
216 Posts
I bought my own granite then asked around for recommended fabricators. Found a guy to fab and install it very reasonable and he did a fantastic job.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Have you really looked at all the alternatives prior to deciding you want granite? There are an awful lot of other countertop materials out there that look as good or better, hold up as well and are easier to maintain.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We will check other materials again but we like the granite look and selections. So how do I make sure I'm getting good or real granite. Thanks

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
We will check other materials again but we like the granite look and selections. So how do I make sure I'm getting good or real granite. Thanks
if there is a mesh glued on the bottom, its a weaker stone. this doesn't make it bad, it just makes it more possible that a broken countertop can happen = most likely during installation.

"granite" is sort of a genaric term for stone counter tops. but, who cares if it is "real" granite. as long as you like it, thats all that matters.

the retailer, fabricator, installer, is FAR MORE important than the stone.
you will be wise to focus on this.

shop around, get many quotes, prices will wildly vary.

if/when there is a problem = NO NOT "expect" them to make it right.

what you see in the show room = DO NOT "expect" to get exactly that.
even if it is the "exact" same stone. been there, done that.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Fixn's got it nailed.....

(Although when aesthetics are important, you can buy / designate your specific slabs... even the slabs from the same mine from a different block can vary significantly.)

(As ro a detailed drawing, I'd have a drawing but the granite has to be cut from a fabricator done template... unless you really know what you are doing with your mjeasurements... which sounds like maybe you don't)

Also address your fabricators treatment of narrow pieces of granite (like sink cutouts etc) to see if they epoxy in strengthing all thread.

If it is important, design your joints with the fabricator... and have it written and signed. They will take shortcuts.,,. for ease of nstall or to save granite.

If you have non=homogeneous granite (with swirls/veins) you may want to design your specific cuts.

Level (plane-out) your cabinets well, that is normally your prep, and even the denseist 3 cm can crack over time if you are not planed out. Make sure they use a good caulk on all cabinet edges... it is structurally supportive.

Check all your joints carefully,, there should be NO lippage.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts