DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fireplace in the basement. The basement is roughly a med size. The fireplace in the basement is a standard masonry unit. Lets put it this way, you can run it all day and it barely heats the basement!!!

My thought is to replace it with a wood burning stove. For some reason vermont castings keeps popping up in my head as an option.

I'm looking at doing a free standing vermont castings wood stove and running a liner down the chimney. The chimney is roughly 30 feet high and it uses a 12 x 12 clay liner.

I guess my questions are what are my options to bring more heat into the room?

Assuming I could do a wood stove, what other brands are good. I'm looking at getting something used (vermont castings encore, defiant and resolute)?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
they make wood stove inserts for fireplaces so you dont have to chop open the wall, unless you want too..any epa certified stove will be good, northern tools has a large assortment of woodstoves...but there are many good brands and pricing...I have a Lopi wood stove upstate and it heats very well, 10 years old and 0 problems...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they make wood stove inserts for fireplaces so you dont have to chop open the wall, unless you want too..any epa certified stove will be good, northern tools has a large assortment of woodstoves...but there are many good brands and pricing...
Instead of damaging the fireplace opening could I just run the stovepipe into the fireplace and up/out. Maybe remove the flu door?

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I have a wood insert Jotul in my fireplace. A wood insert stove is designed to fit into a specific fireplace opening, and it does not stick out into the room. Sometimes it is just not possible to put a freestanding wood stove in, as in my living room, so an insert makes sense. The insert is essentially an airtight wood stove that fits into the fireplace, but it does not throw as much heat as a freestanding stove since it is not open to the room on all sides, hence the need for a blower.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,201 Posts
I see a lot of the inserts have blower motors. I notice a lot of the vermont castings do not!
Ayuh,.... The oldest trick in the book is to put a fan above/ behind the stove, 'n blow the heated air 'round the dwellin',....

As Daniel says, the inserts use the fan to cool the enclosed area, that would be open space to a wood stove,...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.