DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm renovating a house and am getting close to installing the flooring. The original pine plank flooring is going to be the subfloor. Over that will be 3/4" hardwood throughout, with tile in the bathrooms. I'm looking for the best way to get 3/4" thickness in the bathroom. I don't have specs on the specific tile, but I will work on getting that. It's going to be a standard porcelain tile. I'm thinking 1/2" CBU over the pine, plus the tile should be just right, but I'm looking for thoughts from more experienced flooring installers. I'd like to get the CBU down before the hardwood.

·
Naildriver
10,593 Posts
You would use thinset, 1/4" cbu, thinset, then tile. For nominal tile it will almost perfectly match 3/4" flooring.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I'm renovating a house and am getting close to installing the flooring. The original pine plank flooring is going to be the subfloor.

I wouldn't tile over the original plank subfloor without either replacing it with 3/4 plywood, then maybe ditra followed by the tile. That's assuming the joists underneath are sized to support it without flexing.
When I have installed tile where the plank subflooring is present and in good shape, I make sure it's fastened securely, adding screws. Then I've added a layer of 1/2" BC plywood with a 1/4" of cement board on top of that. But that would really add to your height more than what you're looking for.
The 1/2" cement board on top of the planking isn't a very sound way to go. The cement board doesn't add to the stiffness of the floor. It may work in the short run, but there are better ways.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have any concerns about the stiffness of the floor. The joists are 2x10 over a 15’ span with no noticeable flex. I have a full basement and can add all the support I want or need from below. Replacing the plank wouldn’t be feasible now that I have the framing up. I likely will add screws on each joist before laying ditra or 1/4” cbu. I’ve never used ditra, but if the benefits over cbu are worthwhile, I may go that route.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts