DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All-

Have a completely screened-in porch; tiled floor has a slight angle with weep channels all around for water to drain for when rain gets in. I'd like to get a hose in there to be able to spray everything down- especially pollen and dust build-up. I've got two doors to the outside, but rather than drag a hose through a door, I'm trying to figure out a more permanent solution. This is just-finished construction in Dallas.

I've got a corner where I can hide a small and/or expandable hose in a pot (porch is 12'x26'). The screen is supported by some 6x6 and 4x4 cedar posts (non-structural), with a 6x6 in that corner. I've got a hose bibb nearby just outside the corner (and it's in an area that is mostly unseen). The first thought I have is just drill myself a hole in the post just large enough to accommodate a hose bibb of the appropriate length. On the inside, I'd mount it to the post with a basic screw-in bibb mount plate. On the outside, I'd have to rig up something to hold it in place. Maybe that's just spraying in foam into the channel (the kind that gets rigid), trimming and painting to match on the outside. And get whatever sort of adapter I need to connect a hose to the input side of the bibb on the outside of the porch.

Would love any feedback anyone's got, or any other ideas I'm just not thinking of- thank you!

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,432 Posts
Any chance a common wall with the screen porch has water in it - such as bathroom, kitchen? If so, poke a hole, connect to the cold and install a hose bib.

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use a 6" frost free that will reach to the outside ,
This one would be tight in a hole on the outside. Drill the hole from inside on a slight slope as per instructions
The Plumber's Choice 6 in. L Sillcock Frost Free Outdoor Faucet with 1/2 in. MIP/Sweat Connection and 3/4 in. Hose Bib SILL6 (homedepot.com)
View attachment 694685
On the outside add and adapter to a male hose fitting.
View attachment 694686
Connect to other hose bib with a washing machine hose.
View attachment 694687

Warning , remove both hoses inside and out for the winter.
Greatness- thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts