DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I tried some google searches and on here too but can't find a straight answer as to what whole home generator is really the best to go with. I hear Generacs are good, as long as you use their transfer switches, and you have a local tech, Kohler seems to be better, but no one can answer as to how, other than they just prefer that brand, Briggs haven't found much on them, or any others. I am looking at a 20-22kw generator.

Thanks!

·
Naildriver
10,658 Posts
I have always been partial to the Generac. Their switch system makes sense, so I don't see a problem using it. It is simple to connect and to use. For the price it is a good deal. I like the larger ones because they run on propane or NG, they do a diagnostic crank and start on a given day and charges the battery all at the same time. I think HD has the 22K Generac for sale at about $4500, and I believe it includes the transfer switch, but installation is extra.

Reactions: rkovelman

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always been partial to the Generac. Their switch system makes sense, so I don't see a problem using it. It is simple to connect and to use. For the price it is a good deal. I like the larger ones because they run on propane or NG, they do a diagnostic crank and start on a given day and charges the battery all at the same time. I think HD has the 22K Generac for sale at about $4500, and I believe it includes the transfer switch, but installation is extra.
Thanks! Yes I just need it to work and make sure the wife and newborn are good to go no matter what they need to do. I had two guys come and speak to me about it but one was a pro generac guy, and the other was a pro kohler guy. Generac to purchase and install was like 10k, the kohler I am thinking will be 13-14k. Generac was 22kw and the kohler was like 20kw. The kohler needs to be further from the home, I assume because it is plastic and provides no help should it catch on fire. The generac can be closer because it is in a metal container. Should I see how much a HD installer would charge? I don't want to go cheap on the install, thats for sure.

·
Naildriver
10,658 Posts
The install is really a simple thing, so have them enumerate what they will be doing on the install. They will bring a pad to put the generator on and provide a cable/cord to run from the generator to the transfer switch and connect the transfer switch to the individual circuits. It is all automatic, so it's not like you have to do anything when the power goes out. There will be 20 seconds of nothing before the generator kicks on, mainly to wait for the auto resets of the fuse links on your POCO lines.

HD will use a certified installer/electrician to do it, but $5500 for installation seems a little high.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Asking which one is best
Is like asking how long is a piece of string ?
It all depends on what matters to YOU
what are your points of concern ?
All generators have there good points
So it comes down to which suits YOUR needs

WHAT ARE YOUR NEEDS ?

:glasses:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Asking which one is best
Is like asking how long is a piece of string ?
It all depends on what matters to YOU
what are your points of concern ?
All generators have there good points
So it comes down to which suits YOUR needs

WHAT ARE YOUR NEEDS ?

It just works... Something that is close to a Honda. Just needs your typical oil change, spark plugs, air filter, etc type of maintenance. I assume power is power, it's not like it will provide bad power and stuff will break or catch fire right?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
so it sounds like quality and reliability are your main concerns ?
That being the case Yes I would consider Honda as they seem to have
a reputation for quality and reliability.
There are many other things people consider,
But every ones different.
Shop around
Honda not cheap
but peace of mind.
:vs_bulb:

·
Registered
145 Posts
kw
Thanks! Yes I just need it to work and make sure the wife and newborn are good to go no matter what they need to do. I had two guys come and speak to me about it but one was a pro generac guy, and the other was a pro kohler guy. Generac to purchase and install was like 10k, the kohler I am thinking will be 13-14k. Generac was 22kw and the kohler was like 20kw. The kohler needs to be further from the home, I assume because it is plastic and provides no help should it catch on fire. The generac can be closer because it is in a metal container. Should I see how much a HD installer would charge? I don't want to go cheap on the install, thats for sure.
There are too many variables in an install for anyone here to make a judgement on those install quotes. Electrical, pluming, siting, permits, and distances that must be covered. My 10kw close to the meter and panel and 20 feet from the gas meter, with load shedding wiring came to $3500. $5500 could be reasonable. The Kohler quote sounds high for the same basic job. I wouldn't worry about Generac quality since they have been offering free 10 year warranties periodically in sales promotions.

I hope you have made a load calculation in your size decision. Load shedding is an inexpensive, easy to install option on Generacs now.

My first experience with a Generator quote after Hurricane Irene, before Sandy pushed me to actually buy, was from a Kohler Dealer who simply gave me a $13000 quote for a 20kw without even considering my load needs or requirements. A year later I bought a 10kw (9kw NG) on-line for $3000 with a $3500 install from a reliable contractor. With load shedding it met both my needs and the inspectors load calculation requirement.

I later bought an extended warranty and service contracts from the original dealer, who now sells the more popular Generacs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry when I said Honda, I meant their cars, but I assume everything they produce is reliable.

I did not do a load calculation, we just need everything to work, from the AC to the sump pump, to my wife blow drying her hair if she wanted to :biggrin2: How would I do a load calculation?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed a General 22kw last year. Ordered unit online. Free shipping and NO Sales Tax. Had a factory approved distributor install for $1500. The distributor had me order it online because he wanted the install and he said with their stocking requirements he could not sell it to me for the price I paid. This distributor makes his living on installations and maintenance. I had a new 250 gal propane installed with 120 ft of underground approved line installed. Including a full load of propane my total cost for the generator installed was right at $8000.
You really should check around for distributor that will install for less. Also, I was advised to avoid buying my unit from any of the big box stores. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry when I said Honda, I meant their cars, but I assume everything they produce is reliable.

I did not do a load calculation, we just need everything to work, from the AC to the sump pump, to my wife blow drying her hair if she wanted to :biggrin2: How would I do a load calculation?
Try this site. Go down to "residential load calculation" and download the spreadsheet:

http://www.mikeholt.com/freestuff-menu.php

Google generator load calculation for other options. Or, inquire of the companies bidding for your job.

A typical use for load shedding to keep the load calculation down would be to shed an oven or an electric dryer when you certainly not need both at the same time when under generator power. By having load shedding those 4kw loads wouldn't have to be in your calculation because you would be protecting the generator, if you operated them when you shouldn't.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
I think the Generac-Köhler question is moot. They are both decent units.
The question for me would be, which one has a parts and service dealer in your area ?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
QUOTE - [ Sorry when I said Honda, I meant their cars, but I assume everything they produce is reliable. ]

Honda do make a range of generators, but you mostly smaller see the smaller portable types, But they do go bigger.
But they are highly reguarded as quiet and reliable.

https://www.hondashop.com.au/product-category/power_equipment/generators/

This is an Australian site but it will give you an idea of what is available.
I would imagine they are available in the USA also.

:vs_bulb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I did not do a load calculation, we just need everything to work, from the AC to the sump pump, to my wife blow drying her hair if she wanted to
How would I do a load calculation?
Try this site. Go down to "residential load calculation" and download the spreadsheet:

http://www.mikeholt.com/freestuff-menu.php

Google generator load calculation for other options. Or, inquire of the companies bidding for your job.

A typical use for load shedding to keep the load calculation down would be to shed an oven or an electric dryer when you certainly not need both at the same time when under generator power. By having load shedding those 4kw loads wouldn't have to be in your calculation because you would be protecting the generator, if you operated them when you shouldn't.
So I used the form and it looks like I need a 12kw generator. Does that mean running and not startup power? I would think an AC starting up would need 12kw alone no?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts