DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks,
I am new here and would like to ask a question more for verification that I am proceeding correctly and of course I am open to ideas from others experiences.

Project= 11,000 watt dual fuel generator (running on propane it is more like 9,000 watts) plumbed to a hard propane line to a 1000 gallon tank that
services the furnace when all things are normal.

Wiring= 50 amp breaker on the top right of the panel that is in an area easily served by a lockout device.

from there I run 6 gauge 4 wire to a PB-50 box near the generator. I made a 6 gauge extension cord with the California style female for the PB-50 and a range plug for the genny.

OK so now my question is about the neutral. Because there is no sub panel or switching box I see only one way for the neutral and that is straight to the neutral bus and the bare copper (grn) to the ground bus.

The PB-50 had these stickers in the box and I did not understand the reference. The stickers said #1 "WARNING: FOR CONNECTION OF A NONSEPARATELY DERIVED (FLOATING NEUTRAL) SYSTEM ONLY."
#2 "WARNING: FOR CONNECTION OF A SEPARATELY DERIVED (BONDED NEUTRAL) SYSTEM ONLY.
I called the generator company and they didn't know anything about it. The generators neutral gets bonded to the panel ground when it plugs into the PB-50 box that goes to the panel right?

Sounds too easy. Am I missing anything? (well yanking the 6 ga through joists was anything but easy.)
D-

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
What your missing is that the earth to neutral bond must take place in ONE place only (in the panel), and not in multiple locations.
so if your panel is bonded then your generator should NOT be.

·
Deleted Member
596 Posts

The PB-50 had these stickers in the box and I did not understand the reference. The stickers said #1 "WARNING: FOR CONNECTION OF A NONSEPARATELY DERIVED (FLOATING NEUTRAL) SYSTEM ONLY."
#2 "WARNING: FOR CONNECTION OF A SEPARATELY DERIVED (BONDED NEUTRAL) SYSTEM ONLY.
I called the generator company and they didn't know anything about it.
They give you 2 stickers. If you wire it as a bonded neutral, you put Sticker #2 on the gen set
If you wire it floating neutral, you put on sticker #1.
Hard to believe whomever you called didn't know that? Maybe the regular staff is on holidays :vs_worry:

The generators neutral gets bonded to the panel ground when it plugs into the PB-50 box that goes to the panel right?
Depends on the transfer switch. See above what DMX said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Guys, Thank you for answering my question!

I get it now after reading the three responses. My system is bonded from the panel only so it would be a "Bonded Neutral" and that is what the stickers are referring to. The wording on the stickers was a bit confusing to me. The generator is on rubber wheels and rubber feet and bonded to the neutral and ground in the PB-50 inlet panel. So if someone also grounded the generator to the earth from the PB-50 outside box it would be a floating neutral? Why would anyone do that?

Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts