DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a 125amp main service with 2awg copper wires going through the transfer switch, what size neutral and ground wires do i need? im tapping into the main service panel which is already grounded and has its neutral set up. The neutral/ground wires can be smaller for the transfer switch right? The generator is only 30amps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
for a 125amp main service with 2awg copper wires going through the transfer switch, what size neutral and ground wires do i need? im tapping into the main service panel which is already grounded and has its neutral set up. The neutral/ground wires can be smaller for the transfer switch right? The generator is only 30amps.
The feed from the generator to the generator lugs on your switch only need to be #10 copper (10/3) if fed through a 30A twist lock at your generator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The feed from the generator to the generator lugs on your switch only need to be #10 copper (10/3) if fed through a 30A twist lock at your generator.
If your leaving the number 2 on it you’ll also need number 2 for the neutral and number 6 ground. The 10/3 is if it’s Romex if you go with SJOW it’ll be 10/4

·
Registered
Building my last home
356 Posts
there is a lot more going on here than just the wire size. Portable generators are typically grounded to the frame, this includes the neutral. Some small generators can have this ground connection removed, some can not. If you leave it connected you have 2 grounds and 2 different neutrals. You also do not state if this is 120v or 240v which will make a difference on the number of wires. My travel trailer is 30 amps 120v. is the reason I bring this up.
Best check with the locals for the correct way to do this in your area. There are differences across the country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts