DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to wire up a small camp in the forest. The current primary source of power will be a generator. My generator's manual says it has a floating neutral. In the future we may switch to solar power along with generator power. I am confused with the panel installation and the ground / neutral.

Since we will eventually have solar, I got a 30 AMP square D generator panel (QOGP3P3036) [not allowed to post link yet]. I think it will give us the option of using either solar or generator power by switching the main breakers.

That being said, for now I want to hook up the generator. The plan is to run a twist lock cable from the generator to the cabin into an inlet. From the inlet run a 'dryer' #10 wire to the panel. I was also thinking of running a ground from the panel to a ground rod. Should I do that?

The other confusing part for me is..since the generator has a floating neutral, where do I bond it? The instructions for that panel says to bond it to the neutral of the service panel, but in my case I do not have that.

Any help is appreciated, and thank-you in advance.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
A few questions:

- Is this a 120V system or a 120/240V system?
- What is the generator's rated wattage and output current?
- What loads do you have and what are their ratings?
- How many branch circuits are there?
- How soon do you plan to do solar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
120/240

30A

Not sure, but 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, a washroom, a fridge and tv

Not sure how many circuits, estimated 5-6

3-5 years

Thanks for reply

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
120/240

30A

Not sure, but 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, a washroom, a fridge and tv

Not sure how many circuits, estimated 5-6

3-5 years

Thanks for reply
If you're serious about eventually doing solar (I'd highly recommend it - I have an off-grid solar cabin much like yours and it's great to not need a generator) then you should plan for it from the start. Think of this as a solar installation with an auxiliary generator option. Focus on energy conservation above all else, with particular attention to avoiding continuous loads. Avoid any 240V appliances since inexpensive inverters are 120V only. You can use a pair of inverters (one supplying each half of the panel) or you can use a single inverter and tie both panel busses together through the backfed 2-pole breaker that serves as your solar power disconnect. That's the breaker you would interlock with the other 2-pole breaker that serves your your generator disconnect. Any panel with a manual interlock kit should work fine for this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.