DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 120/240V generator which is rated for 7200W continuous, and has one L14-30 for 120/240V, one L5-30 for 120V, and one 20A duplex. The L14-30 connection has two 30A breakers on the generator panel - I assume one for each pole. So assuming this generator can push 60A @ 120V or 30A at 240V (or some combination), what is the best way to maximize the connection to the transfer switch? In other words, is the L14-30 a 30A feed or a 60A feed?

My issue seems to be that it seems silly to have a 30A transfer switch fed by a 30A generator feed when my generator is capable of [email protected]

It seems that I would use a switch like the GenTran 3026 or 3028, but how do I get the full 60A if needed?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I sort of figured that - but didn't realize I needed to balance the load. Balancing the load seems tricky to me since the appliances in use, and 240V well pump cycling could vary at any time. But I get the concept now. how close does it need to be?

So assuming I wire as you stated, are the remaining receptacles on the generator available for use so long as I don't exceed rated wattage? I would assume they are.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.