DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home that has a Generac Automatic Transfer Switch inside with 50 amp plug in outlet outside. I want to purchase the highest watt generator I can. Knowing a 50amp cord is rated for 12000w, my question is, is that 12000w running or 12000 surge/peak?
Am I limited to a 12000 peak with 9500 running or can I use a 13000 peak with 12000 running? Is there a safe overage on ratings?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, in your opinion, what would be the max surge/peak watts? I've seen generators that produce 13kw to 15kw surge/peak with 12kw running.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The generator specs itself I am not too knowledgeable about. I would say the ladder one you just mentioned is best. Not worried about the cord capacity with the peak load.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
What matters to a cord is thermal. A motor start simply doesn't last long enough to warm the wire unduly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. If I understand correctly, as long as the running wattage is at 12000 max, any 50a cord should handle whatever surge/peak wattage a generator produces.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thanks for the replies. If I understand correctly, as long as the running wattage is at 12000 max, any 50a cord should handle whatever surge/peak wattage a generator produces.
If the cord between the plug and generator is short, then yes.. but if you're running that cord 50 feet, then it could be a problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks, my plan is to be as short as possible, 15' to 25' max.
You may already know this and I'm not trying to be rude but it is terribly important that the generator be away from doors and windows and there is room between it and the house for the Carbon Monoxide to dissipate into the outside air. If Carbon Monoxide ends up concentrated at the wall of the house it will find a way inside and that could end in tragedy.

Make sure that the cord that you buy is long enough to have the generator sufficiently far from the house. A 10 gauge cord should be fine up to 50 feet.

--
Tom Horne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I am aware, but didn't consider it rude to have someone state safety. I've seen some Darwin Award things in my life. Topography plays a factor in why I want it short as well, but safety is first. Another reason I posted the question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts